3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How does regearing work

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007 | 09:16 PM
buffgator
|
Rookie
Default How does regearing work

I just got my truck regeared with 4:56 gears. It is an 03 qc, 4x4, 4.7L, with 37 in tires. How exactly does regearing increase the performance? I notice that it seems to go up in the rpms faster, and it is at a higher rpm when cruising, but its hard to pinpoint exactly how it has changed. I dont think that it excelerates faster though. Also I have not driven it over 45 to see how that is. The best way I can describe it is that it seems to "pull" itself along better.

Old 09-28-2007 | 09:32 PM
marv02
Captain
Default RE: How does regearing work

It like riding a 10 speed bike when you are in lowwer gear it much easyer for you to get going from a stop and get to speed much quicker with less effort if you try the same thing lets say in high gear you still get there but it taked a lot more energy to get there.

Yes you are going to turn more RPM at the same speed but you'r engine is doing this much easyer than before with the stock 3.55 gear set. If you remember when you had stock size tires th truck got around much easyer and had more get up and go the 4.56 gear set should remove some of the Trucks Lazy feel when driving and when you put you foot in to it. It will get to speed faster and easyer.

But break them in right you be glad you did this in the long run drive it easy for 30 minutes let the rearend cool down drive it again for 30 minutes let it cool down do this for 4 or 5 times do not tow or haul for 500 miles If I was you then change the oil then drive it normaly after that.

The heating up and cooling down lets the gear set wear a pattren and lets themR&P harder as you break them in they are a little soft when you first install them so the R&P can wear a pattren this is normal.

Old 09-28-2007 | 10:52 PM
buffgator
|
Rookie

wow I just got back from my first highway trip. Drove 20 miles outside of town, pulled over and sat for 20min, then drove back. Man what a difference! Instead of down shifting and up shifting every 30 seconds, I only down shifted twice on the way out, and never down shifted on the way back. Instead of lugging at 1300 rpms in overdrive, I was cruising at 1800. I never noticed a huge difference around town, its for sure there on the freeway.

Old 09-28-2007 | 11:25 PM
marv02
Captain

I have read 2000 RPM is where about you want to be at 60 MPH for the best allaround.

If you were before at 1300 RPM you were reving to low that even will use more gas the engine is working harder to keep that speed up.

Old 09-28-2007 | 11:29 PM
buffgator
|
Rookie

ORIGINAL: marv02

I have read 2000 RPM is where about you want to be at 60 MPH for the best allaround.

If you were before at 1300 RPM you were reving to low that even will use more gas the engine is working harder to keep that speed up.
For sure I was only getting 13 on the freeway. I got 17 tonight. I bet if I slapped my 35s back on I would be getting even better.

Old 09-28-2007 | 11:49 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

nice!! i wanna gear someday.

Old 09-28-2007 | 11:56 PM
buffgator
|
Rookie

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

And I want a Hemi some day! I almost bought one, but with my truck almost paid off I decided to get the tires and gears instead. I will tell you what though, I have all the performance upgrades on my 4.7 and it still does not have the pep that the stock hemi on 35s that I test drove had.

Old 09-29-2007 | 12:09 AM
marv02
Captain

ORIGINAL: buffgator

ORIGINAL: marv02

For sure I was only getting 13 on the freeway. I got 17 tonight. I bet if I slapped my 35s back on I would be getting even better.
If you put the stock tires back on you mite be RPM to high that will also hurt you But it will be a fast truck off the line lose Top end but it would be fun to drive around town, Smoke em tires.

Old 09-30-2007 | 11:05 PM
marv02
Captain

ORIGINAL: buffgator

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

And I want a Hemi some day! I almost bought one, but with my truck almost paid off I decided to get the tires and gears instead. I will tell you what though, I have all the performance upgrades on my 4.7 and it still does not have the pep that the stock hemi on 35s that I test drove had.
Youhad time to drive it by now How do you like it.

Old 10-01-2007 | 01:15 AM
Colin467

hey how much did it cost you to get it re geared

Quick Reply: How does regearing work