3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

speaker system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:17 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speaker system?

I have seen alot of these speaker systems under the backseat in the quad cabs. I have been thinking about getting me one. Can anybody tell me if they are any good, and if the sound gets out from under the seat. I am thinking about making my on speaker box, any ideas on what type of speaker would be great.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: speaker system?

I think they sound great, but what would I do with all my ammo boxes?

Old 10-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Jarrod904
Veteran

sounds great heres a pic of mine..
http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0556yb0.jpg

it would be cheaper to buy the box i got mine at a local audio shop for 80 bucks. by the time you put in labor and all the stuff you need it will prob come out alittle more.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:42 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They sound great but you'll need to upgrade from the stock speakers so you can hear the highs and lows....

oops, I think this question should have been asked before you bought my old speakers..

Just busting your ***** man.. BTW, the speakers went out today.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:37 AM
eltupac
All Star

Only thing from my own lack of experience, make sure your sub matches the amp in ohms. I had a 2 ohm amp pushing a 4 ohm sub and it sounded like crap. I thought the box because I had the same setup in a bigger box and it always sounded good. I changed the amp to a 4 ohm amp and it is amazing the difference. I just wonder how loud 2 subs would sound, but I need the storage space.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:21 AM
cpukramer
Captain

I have 2 10's under the back seats and I think that they sound great. Right now I have the stock headunit and I upgraded the speakers all around to Kenwoods. I think that eventually I will go with an aftermarktet headunit to boost the highs and mids a bit, but I think that it sounds really good just adding the subs. I bought the box off of eBay for like $80 plus shipping and did the rest of the install myself. I put a 800W Sony Xplod amp under the drivers seat and installed 2 10's in the box. The subs are Visionik (some chepo subs I bought off of eBay for $20 each but they sound great). They say you can fit 12's in the box instead, but I opted for the 10's because I listen to mostly rock and I think that 10's have a more firm bass for the drums and whatnot that the 12's. If you have any other questions, just let me know, I just finished this project a few weeks ago so all the info is still fresh in my mind. I don't have any pics posted but if you want them I can get them later today.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Ben D.
Champion

ORIGINAL: eltupac

Only thing from my own lack of experience, make sure your sub matches the amp in ohms. I had a 2 ohm amp pushing a 4 ohm sub and it sounded like crap. I thought the box because I had the same setup in a bigger box and it always sounded good. I changed the sub to a 4 ohm sub and it is amazing the difference. I just wonder how loud 2 subs would sound, but I need the storage space.
you can get a 4 ohm sub to match a 2 ohm amp. also amps don't have a specific resitance that they work at. they have a range for example from 1-4 ohms. usually the lowest ohm puts out the most power because less resistance= more power.

I have a 4 ohm JL 12w3v2 it's a dual voice coil. I run that with a jl amp that puts out it's max power of 400 watts at 2 ohms. when wired in paralell the DVC 4 ohms will have a total resistance of 2 ohms.

the ohms would only affect the power they are getting from the amp. one would be louder other would be quieter

cpu definately agree 10s have better bass for rock then 12's but don't give up on 12's in a good custom built enclosure you'd be amazed at how well even a 15 would be at upper bass.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:35 PM
cpukramer
Captain

ORIGINAL: Ben D.

ORIGINAL: eltupac

Only thing from my own lack of experience, make sure your sub matches the amp in ohms. I had a 2 ohm amp pushing a 4 ohm sub and it sounded like crap. I thought the box because I had the same setup in a bigger box and it always sounded good. I changed the sub to a 4 ohm sub and it is amazing the difference. I just wonder how loud 2 subs would sound, but I need the storage space.
you can get a 4 ohm sub to match a 2 ohm amp. also amps don't have a specific resitance that they work at. they have a range for example from 1-4 ohms. usually the lowest ohm puts out the most power because less resistance= more power.

I have a 4 ohm JL 12w3v2 it's a dual voice coil. I run that with a jl amp that puts out it's max power of 400 watts at 2 ohms. when wired in paralell the DVC 4 ohms will have a total resistance of 2 ohms.

the ohms would only affect the power they are getting from the amp. one would be louder other would be quieter

cpu definately agree 10s have better bass for rock then 12's but don't give up on 12's in a good custom built enclosure you'd be amazed at how well even a 15 would be at upper bass.
Ben is right ... my Xplod will range from 2-4 ohms ... it is unstable at 1 however. I'm not giving up on the 12's I just think that they are a bit much for what I wanted I just wanted a little extra bump for the drums.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:58 PM
muscleman320
Professional

first have a decent head unit, a system is nothing without it, also new door speakers re definitely i order, i got a sub without replacing doors and it sounded awful, but i didn't have ot put up with it for long casue the pressure from the sub blew holes in all the speakers and they didn't work anymore. Kove and Polk are strong, but Pioneer 4-ways are absolutely the best (unless you splurge and get JL) as far as subs go... i had a 12 inch Kicker L7, rediculous, but don't think it would fit inder back seat of yours. Try the JL W3 10 inch, amaxing sub, and 2 is way more than enough. Also try to fix the door locks where they won't vibrate in the doors if you chage those speakers, mine did and it drove me insane.

p.s. dynomat is a great idea!

Old 10-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Ben D.
Champion

^^ I agree with everything muscle said,

in my jeep I run the following setup
Eclipse CD3100 h/u
Polk 4x6's in the front
Polk 6.5's in the soundbar
JlE1400D amplifier
Jl 12w3v2 sub in a ported enclosure
Full Rockford fosgate 4ga wiring

my Sq is great my sub doesn't overpower everything else and I do get pretty loud when I want. but my SQ is definately the strongpoint of my system.

Quick Reply: speaker system?