3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shes cuttin' off on me....in traffic!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007 | 06:56 PM
Blonkert
|
Default Shes cuttin' off on me....in traffic!!

Yeah, my 04' Ram with the HEMI in it, well she is cuttin out on me. I will be drivin down the road and come to a stop in traffic and it will just die. All I got to do is put it in park and start it back up andmove on butthat can't be right.......On top of that sometimes the cruise control won't work, if I pull over and turnthe truckof,then start it back up the cruise will work. I love my truck and will never give it up, go Dodge...whoop whoop, but I would like to know what I gots to do to fix her up......would anyof you Ram runners know what this might be?

Old 10-01-2007 | 06:57 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Default RE: Shes cuttin' off on me....in traffic!!

any mods? how many miles? done the routine maintenance?

Old 10-01-2007 | 07:12 PM
Blonkert
|

I have kept up with theroutine maintenence, I have 30 series flowmaster on it with a single three inch pipe all the way back, whooooshe sounds bad!!! but other then that she is stock. The miles are around 43,000. She runs fine and I haven't noticed any thing amiss other then what I have described.......I was throwin' the code high volts to the 02 sensor but it cleared itself to the point where the lightwent off and hasn't come back on that happend about a month ago.

Old 10-01-2007 | 07:23 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Clean the throttle body & replace the EGR valve. It's almost always one of the two whena Hemi stalls. On an '04 it needs both by now anyway. As far as the cruise [sm=confused06.gif]I don't know...

Old 10-01-2007 | 07:31 PM
Blonkert
|

Those two I will do, I figured it had to do with the TB,seems to be some good peopleon this site, thanks. Iwas lookin to upgrade my rotors, you wouldn't happen to knowwho makes a good upgrade from theOEM parts would you? Thanks agian.

Old 10-01-2007 | 07:47 PM
moparmutt
Veteran

How are you guys cleaning the throttle body? Are you just spraying it down with cleaner?
My Dad and I have rebuilt carbs, but never did much with throttle bodies.

Old 10-01-2007 | 08:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

The EGR is a relatively cheap part, easy to get at to change. For cleaning the throttle body, DON'T USE THROTTLE BODY CLEANER!!! There isa TSB on it, you use brake cleaner! Yes, I'm serious, here is the Dodge TSB.
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2005/18-016-05.htm

I'm sorry I didn't include it in my original post, we "regulars" on here all throw posts arounddaily, and by now we all know and have discussed these things at length, but I shouldn't take it for granted everyone, especially those who may be new to the forums, would have knowledge of these things.

Old 10-01-2007 | 09:53 PM
jmt

With Hammer on this one...use only brake cleaner so not to mess up the stepper motor.Id do this first since its free.Also its a very easy job to take it off only 4 bolts, I believe 8mm.? I spent over an hour cleaning the crap out of mine. Youre not supposed to move the butterfly b/c of the motor but I did to get all the build up out of it. -Josh

Old 10-01-2007 | 10:55 PM
Blonkert
|

This is good s---, I am not new to the forum but I don't get on the CPU often. I really appreciate ya'll and the site, between the info. and the ideas plus money saved you can't beat a good forum....Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Shes cuttin' off on me....in traffic!!