3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Broken exhaust hanger

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 PM
tamuccmike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken exhaust hanger

gotta quick question...money is an issue...my left exhaust hanger broke, it came unwelded from the hanger actually so i can't fix it with any type of jb weld type stuff (i assume thats what that stuff is for?) so about how much, or how little can i get my exhaust chopped off for and dumped? I have the dual exhaust out the back corners which i really like, but I assume have the exhaust chopped off at some point and dumped. anyway i can keep my current setup, just chopped shorter with a turn-down to make it louder? i do not want it to be quieter at all...i just dont want to spend a lot of $ and this came at a weird time. the exhaust is hitting the back panel of the truck and i do not want to cause any damage, what do you all suggest? thanks!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Broken exhaust hanger

Just bring it over and I'll weld it back together for you, take 5 minutes.
My pop used to own an awning and canopy business, been welding since I was about 11.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if you got a saws-all or a hack saw you could cut the exhaust off yourself and then just get some turndowns to dump the exhaust (use u-clamps to put it together) and really it wouldnt cost ya that much to do something like that...otherwise if you just wanted the hanger welded back on, shouldn't cost ya maybe $25 or somethin to have someone do it...or take hammer up on his offer to do it for ya (thats what i'd do lol)

Old 10-03-2007, 09:17 PM
bobbylight
Professional

had mine dumped for $30

Old 10-03-2007, 10:13 PM
tamuccmike
Veteran

well a drive to florida might use a couple hundred in gas, so thanks for the offer. so i guess my question now is how can this "problem" turn into a positive i.e. making it louder if possible? thanks for the help guys...ur all swell.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:16 PM
jbs_hemi4x

HI,
I just had the same problem, both hangers were broken. I went to Midas and they said for a quick fix, re weld for 50$. To fix the problem and make new hangers, and move the muffler farther back $150-$200 with an hour wait. Left a skid mark in their parking lot getting out of there. Went to a neighborhood muffler shop called speedys and they re-welded the existing hangers and added two new ones on the opposing sides alll for 30 bucks, I was in and out in 30 minutes..

Old 10-04-2007, 07:26 PM
tamuccmike
Veteran

i think ive decided to chop the pipes myself...what kinda saw do i need, any specific one? so where do i cut and turndown for the best sound?

Old 10-04-2007, 10:35 PM
tamuccmike
Veteran

?

Old 10-04-2007, 10:42 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

one of my hangers broke, i took it to the shop i have do all my exhaust work, charged me $5 to reweld it... havent had another problem with it

Old 10-05-2007, 08:04 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It really pisses me off what these guys charge for simple weld repairs. To mig weld a hangar literally takes 5 minutes and and about 2 cents of material. I'm working at a golf course as an asst. pro for now to stay close to home (family health issues as most of you know) and a local place wanted to charge them $150 to re-weld a broken sleeve on the range ball picker. I brazed it in the field with MAPP gas (I carry this in my truck to do in the field repairs as it does not require electricity and is safer than Acetylene). I told them I'd do it if they bought me a full bottle of gas and O2 (cost about $20 for both). Took 5 minutes and about 1/20th of a bottle of gas. So, basically I got a full bottle of both to do the job and was happy as a pig in you-know-what.

Quick Reply: Broken exhaust hanger