3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anyone plow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:17 PM
wraith05ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone plow?

Does anyone plow with a 3rd gen Ram 1500? I'm thinkin of getting one for this winter and I'm looking for any recommendations or preferences.
thanks

Old 10-04-2007, 10:50 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: anyone plow?

i wouldnt plow too much with a 1500... thats more of an hd thing or an ol beater truck...

Old 10-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe the manual says NOT to plow with the 1500. Something about the airbag sensors or something like that, I think. I believe it can void your warranty if it's damaged due to using a plow.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:08 AM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your truck will do it with no problem. Here is another active link about the same issue; https://dodgeforum.com/m_991339/tm.htm. I would just put the plow on when you are going to use it, don't leave it on for the next storm two weeks from now. Red

Old 10-05-2007, 09:07 AM
cpukramer
Captain

You CAN plow with the 1500 but if you can afford it I really reccomend going with a solid front axle 2500 or get an older beater where you don't care if you screw it up too much. Also a lot of the older truck (I believe all of the 2nd gen Rams, but I could be wrong) have solid front axles. If you decide to do it anyways, stick with a lighter duty residential plow. I plowed for a while with a 1500 Chevy beater truck. Worked OK but when I went to a bigger industrial size plow I had to but bigger coil springs in the front to keep it from sagging. I used all Western plows, I had the UniMount for awhile and now I have the UltraMount ProPlow with side wings. Also definitly go with a 1000CCA battery or you will be replacing your battery all the time.

oh ya and you will probably void your warranty if you bring it to the dealer with the plow frame attached, so keep that in mind. You will have to take the plow mount off before taking it in for service, and even then you are rolling the dice [&:]

Old 10-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

I did a lot of snow plowing when I lived in MN in the '80s and '90s. Plowing tends to wear everything out on your truck. I strongly suggest you not mount a snowplow to a half ton truck, especially a nice one like yours. The weight of a snowplow is centeredseveral feet in front of the front axle, which compresses the front springs and unloads the rear springs.

Whatever truck you use, Isuggest a high quality plow like a Western. I haven't looked at new snowplows for years, but the good ones had manual hydraulic valves actuated by cables instead ofsolonoids. The manual valveswill last forever,and the solonoids tend to wear out. Also, a dual battery setup with a big alternator (or even two small alternators) is a big plus. The motor that drives the hydraulic pump is basically like a starter motor, and has a huge amp draw when you raise the blade or angle it.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:57 PM
wraith05ram

well thanks for the input but my main question was regarding whatbrand plow would be best. i really dont doubt i'll have any trouble doing it with my truck considering my cousin had a 2500 hd chevy with a plow and said that his best plow truck was his 01 dakota v6 with a 7 ft plow

Quick Reply: anyone plow?