3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Max Power
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brakes question

Where is HankL to chime in on the worthlessness of rotor dimples and slots when you need him?

Old 10-10-2007, 07:50 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking of rotor's and worthiness etc.
I'll post up some pictures of one of my rotors I took off today in the near future.
People WILL be HORRIFIED [sm=jawdrop.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif]at what can happen to these bits of kit.
I'll post up when I install my new rotor upgrades in the next couple of days.
Al.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:58 AM
LoFlyer
Professional

I rec that you never turn a brake rotor. Remember that the rotor's main purpose is to dissipate heat (turning kinetic energy into heat energy) so the less metal you have on the rotor the less stopping power you have. As for slotted/drilled rotors, you'll probably never notice a difference between them and solid rotors except for that once a year panic stop. The slots do help because they sling heat and basically get an airflow going across the rotor. High friction pads that create a lot of heat combined with rotors that dissipate heat will improve your stopping power.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:05 AM
eltupac
All Star

I read in another post that someone took their truck in to the dealer because of vibration. The dealer replaced the rotors free of charge.
I have the same problem, it happened with the 20's. I think the wheel is too big for the stock rotors. My opinion. I am tempting to drop it off at the dealer and see what they say. I saw the break pad still has some meat and I have 32k on it.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:31 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: abarmby

ORIGINAL: SLCHemi

DeWalt378G, I kinda wonder about those rotors, the "dimpled" as opposed to drilled...I guess it works, but wonder if the dimples get cloged up with gunk ? They run at about the same price as Powerslots at least for my truck...
I kinda wonder about all that different profile dimple and slot stuff too.........[sm=confused06.gif]
My friend says most of it is just eye candy and for our street driven trucks, just not applicable.

One manufacturer uses dimples with profiles and says "it's a new break through in brake technology"on them and another not.

Which one would you buy............[sm=bustedsign.gif]

Just a point
Al

i wasn't too crazy about the dimples either. i'd rather have the surface area. i just want the slots. it's the lifetime warranty that sells me.

SLC, i dunno what powerslots you got, but i just priced them and i can get them much cheaper than the brake performance ones. i priced them here https://secure.performancecenter.com the regular ones not the cryo ones.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:41 AM
SLCHemi
Professional

That site ( https://secure.performancecenter.com) has 'em for the same as the one I was looking at (truckperformance.com). I've got a 2500, maybe that makes 'em more ? Not much, but $239 for non cryo's....The first set of Powerslots I had was on a sports car, was chewin' through rotors (did some SCCA action on the weekends), got the Powerslots and my fade and warping went away. Next vehicle was a 2K Dakota that had a definate warping problem (dealer replaced twice, said it was a "known issue" on that truck)...after getting tired of the dealer thing ever 6-10K miles I put Powerslots on the Dakota and no more warping. So though I don't have any issues on my Ram, when it's time to change out the brakes I'll go with what's worked for me...

And yes, I too wonder where 'ol HankL is with his views on the subject

Old 10-11-2007, 01:02 AM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

hey, thanks for the background. i was about to post a question on who has what and how many miles and how happy are ya. in my general search here it seems everyone is happy with the power slots and after seeing your experience i am leaning more towards the power slots over those others i found. i just might order them tonight [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray97--First things first, get them checked to ensure they are warped.

It's funny, the more I research the more info I find that say the slots and holes are worthless on a street vehicle. With a lifetime warranty on plain ones, I think that would be the way to go.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:18 AM
gchildre

Back in 02 when my truck was nearly new, I had the front end shimmy during braking and brought the truck back to the dealer. He said that was good timing as the rotors only had 12K warranty, I was over 11K miles at the time. He tried to blame stop/go driving, wet weather etc but they just warped. He put new rotors on under warranty and they warped again within 15K miles. I had the rotors turned at 30K miles and replaced the pads at the same time and I have never had any more trouble with them, I now have 70K miles. I thought that the rotors might be junk but when I had them turned but the guy I took them to pointed out that they are decent TRW rotors. I think that the warping had more to do with the number of panic stops you put on them.

Quick Reply: Brakes question