3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mods v. Lifetime warr

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Zack1978
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods v. Lifetime warr

Hey everyone,
How far do you think that you can go with HEMI mods before the dealer would give you problems with the lifetime warr? For example can you do a K&N air flow system, not just the drop in filter? Any feedback?

Thanks,
Zack

Old 10-13-2007, 09:27 AM
lewpuckett
Professional
Default RE: Mods v. Lifetime warr

according to my brother in law who is a dodge tech you can changet the exhaust, a CAI, and a programmer with no problem. after that refer to the act from congress it says something like as long as the mod you do does not cause the other parts to fail then the dealership should not deny your warranty claim. however if it does then the warranty for that item is null & void.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:22 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, it's a crock if you ask me. Example: When I started looking into doing headers, I priced a set of Mopar LT's from my local dealer. I then asked (there was a purpose to this question) if I purchased a set of Dynatech Supermaxx Headers if it would effect my 7/70 powertrain warranty. I was told that in fact it would. I then informed them that Mopar Headers are Dynatech Supermaxx Headers and after denying it, the service manager asked the parts manager if in fact I was right. Even AFTER the parts mgr. confirmed that the Mopars were in fact Dynatecs, he was still adamant that I would void my warranty if I did not go with the Mopar version and have an authorized dealer do the install.
I ended up getting Pacesetter LT's because they dyno'd just slightly under the Dynatechs and cost less than half the price. I figure, it's my truck, I'll make it the way I want. If my mod goes bad, I'll have to swell up & fix it, if something else not pertaining to my mod fails, I'll fight them all the way.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:48 AM
marv02
Captain

ANY MOD YOU DO can Void the factory warranty I had a Lift kit and Oversize tires I purchased the 2002 Ford F-250 4X4 used from them that way from the Dodge dealer, The motor blew out a spark plug stripped the threades right out of the head they were going to VOID the warranty What dose a Lift kit and bigger tires have to do with blowing a Plug out I have no idea But ,I had to threaten them with a lawer to get them to fix the truck and after they did fix it then they voided the rest of the warranty.

There story states Any and all non factory modification Will void the warranty It is in the contract The dealer had no problem with doing the work it was Chrysler it self doing the backing out the dealer even said and was on my side about doing the repair.

But if you have the dealer put the parts On and have it in writing that what they put on will not void the rest of you'r warranty you should be good BUT you mite have to bring it back to the same dealer every time to get it fixed.

Oh yea after theyvoid the rest of my warranty it got bigger lift bigger tires ect why not.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:23 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Marv02,
Obviously you have never heard of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act passed by the Federal Trade Commission.
Under the act, aftermarket equipment that is installed to improve performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.

I advised a friend who was beinggiven avery hard timetrying to get a warranty repair for a stalling issue because he had Midas install a cat back exhaust. He called me from his cell phone outside the dealership. I told him to go back in, inform the service manager he was just on the phone with his friend who is an attorny (total BS, I was working as a Network Administrator at the time) who advised him to say the following words - Magnuson Moss. They changed their tune ON THE SPOT! I never even told him what it was, just told him to say the words! Turns out it was the EGR valve!!!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Ben D.
Champion

here's a tidbit about that lifteime warr. from some people this may be true or not that the lifteim warranty only covers parts deemed to be defective from the factroy so basically wear and tear doesn't count. just stuff that was defectvie from factory.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:03 PM
marv02
Captain

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

Marv02,
Obviously you have never heard of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act passed by the Federal Trade Commission.
Under the act, aftermarket equipment that is installed to improve performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.

I advised a friend who was beinggiven avery hard timetrying to get a warranty repair for a stalling issue because he had Midas install a cat back exhaust. He called me from his cell phone outside the dealership. I told him to go back in, inform the service manager he was just on the phone with his friend who is an attorny (total BS, I was working as a Network Administrator at the time) who advised him to say the following words - Magnuson Moss. They changed their tune ON THE SPOT! I never even told him what it was, just told him to say the words! Turns out it was the EGR valve!!!

Did not know this fact Thanks

Sure glad there some laws out there for us that will help you out at the SteelerShips.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:17 PM
minnesotamopar
Rookie

Marv02--Your blown plug was apparently an incredibly common thing on early 5.4 Liter engines. They only have two threads or so holding the plugs in. This was so common there was massive online talk of a class action lawsuit and so common that Lisle tools makes a kit to re-thread, tap, and provides users with a new part number of a plug they can buy. With a little more information you could have saved your warranty, shoved the plug issue in their face, and demanded new heads. The current heads don't have the lack of threads issue. At the time I heard about this my neighbor had since pulled his plugs and was fuming at the lack of threads. The sad part about this is Ford knew and knows about this issue, the dealers after a time knew about this issue too. I don't know if there ever was a repair or recall or fix or not.

--Matt

Old 10-13-2007, 11:28 PM
marv02
Captain

They were talking about law suit when I still had the truck before I trade it in for this dodge The main reason I trade it in was gas prices $110.00 a week just to get to work and back was to much money I now speanding $35.00a week .

I Build the the Ford Truck how I wanted it but this was before the $3.00 + a gallon days I was planing to keep that truck.

Quick Reply: Mods v. Lifetime warr