3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

frame rail resonance?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:36 PM
sublime118
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frame rail resonance?????

Hey everyone,
I have a 2007 1500 QC Hemi. It currently has 12,000 miles on it. I have had numerous drivetrain problems and the lastest one has me flat out stumped. At about 35-40 mph, 1100-1200 rpm, light accelaration, a loud rumble happens. It has been to the dealer many times to be fixed, and finally they said that it is "harmonic resonance" coming from the transmission in 1:1 gear and there is nothing than can do about it. I was like what kind of crap is that, I have never heard of such a thing. They pulled the old operating as designed, made me swear a little, and sent me on my way. The said they called Dodge engineers and Dodge said they can not do anything to make the noise stop, but it will not interfere with anything. I told them to go to hell, and I am going to take it to another dealer. They rebuilt my rear end twice trying to diagnose it. Has anyone here ever heard of such a thing????? Thanks for your input.

BD

Old 10-16-2007, 07:21 PM
brianas
Professional
Default RE: frame rail resonance?????

ive heard of and read about very similar or the same type of
issues on other peoples 06+ ram qc with hemi.
some ive seen reffered to as a droan

not sure of any fix, but im sure your not alone

curious , will the truck still do it if you drive in tow/haul mode?
g/l

Old 10-16-2007, 07:30 PM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My ’07 regular cab with the hemi has weights on the frame at different locations for what I thought was for the harmonic resonance. Does the QC have these also? I would try another dealer also and see what they say. Nothing is worse than a noise to listen to while driving. I had this with a bad rear axel at 2,000 miles. Hope you get the problem fixed. Red

Old 10-16-2007, 10:12 PM
djr04
All Star

Yeah I also have those weights on my frame. From what I understand, not all trucks came with them. Supposedly their purpose is to reduce vibration in the frame. The weights looks like two fat metallic donuts with a bracket in the middle that is attached to the frame.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:53 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What the hell is happening with Chrysler lately? If you scan though posts over the last couple of months, there are a lot of '07 owners with problems ranging from annoyances to some pretty severe (tranny, etc.) that dealers are saying " there is no fix for this" or "we can't fix/find the problem, you'll have to live with it".
THAT'S BS, YOU BUY A $30K+ VEHICLE, IT NEEDS TO BE IN PERFECT WORKING CONDITION! That includes no clunking tranny shifts, no vibration on the highway, no annoying noises, nothing! I'd show my ***, and be a thorn in there side till they make it right!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:03 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear about the resonance.

Ask the dealership to make an appointment for you
with the regional Chrysler representative when he visits
and go for a ride in your truck with the rep.

This is a TSB for an older Ram
but the process it describes
and the 'black box' vibration analyser
{Special tool OT-38793 "Electronic Vibration Analyzer Kit (EVA)"}
is what a well-trainned Chrysler tech should be able to use
to find exactly where the resonance is coming from.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-49-98.htm

5 Star Dealerships are required to have the OT-38793
and at least one trainned tech to use it
under 5 Star rules
but good techs come and go at bad dealerships so often
that you might have to ask the Chrysler Regional Rep
where there is a dealership with a good one still on staff.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:35 AM
sublime118

Thanks for the replies. There are no weights on the frame. The service manager asked the engineer on the phone, and the engineer said that will not do anything. It does not do it in tow haul, so while in the city, I drive in tow haul. I would describe it as a drone, but more of a rumble when going up a slight incline. I believe that if the truck has to go in the shop for anything for 6 days, I can file lemon law in Florida. They had it for 12 days for a broken tooth in the rear end. Then for this problem they had it for another 12 days were they misdiagnosed this problem as a bad bearing in the rear end. The bearing was bad, but had nothing to do with the rumble. So it's a hunk of hell, I don't want it anymore, but I am stuck with it.

BD

Old 10-17-2007, 09:02 AM
djr04
All Star

the fact that it doesn't do it in tow haul and it occurs at those rpms and speeds tells me it may be mds related. Do you have any modifications to your exhaust? I know that when mds kicks in with my cutout open you can definitely feel and hear the difference.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:22 AM
sublime118

The truck is stock. The first 3 mechanics all said they thought that it was the valve body sticking in the transmission. I rode with 5 mechanics from there that all had different opinions. I was real patient with all of them due to the fact that both times the truck was in, they provided me with a rental. They had their lead tech call the engineer, then rode with me, gave me the keys back and told me to have a nice day.
I am a manager at a grocery store about 2 miles from the dealership were all the people from the dealership shop. As soon as I see the sales manager, I'm gonna tell him to pick me up in a new one and drive and see if it does it. If it does or dosen't won't make me feel any different. I do not want to drive any vehicle that goes WWWWHHHHAAAAAAAAA if it can not be fixed. The next dealer is 45 miles away from home instead of 22, and does not provide rentals. I will gladly rent a car myself if it can be fixed. I have my doubts, sorry for the long post.

BD

Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Hemi #643

put a sign in the window at your store stating to ask about the service you received at that dealership. I bet they fix your truck after they see the sign in public.

Quick Reply: frame rail resonance?????