3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hurt Ego

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:27 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hurt Ego

I think I once read somewhere that you can also turn the key to the start position on the Hemis and it will overide the speed limiter.
Not this I endorse such a thing

Old 10-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Malbolgia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few good posts and a few not so helpful. I'll take a minute to respond here.
First, grow the hell up and stop racing people on the highway before I kill someone. Excuse me? I can see for miles in every direction, I know its safe, and no one is going to walk out in front of me from a sidewalk. Much safer than racing around in town and running over a kid thank you very much.
Second, the closest track is 200 miles away, and its just an 1/8 of a mile. Hardly a fun time to drive over 3 hours and then only drag for 1/8 of a mile.
Why didn't I get a used diesel instead of a new hemi? Well, I wanted a NEW diesel. I've only owned used vehicals, this 2007 is my first NEW vehical. I'm tired of buying someone elses problems. No one else seems to maintain a vehical the way I want it maintained. I own 4 other vehicals and they all need work. This one I bought has a service contract, and everything is new and working and if I have a problem then I take it in and they fix it.
I bought the hemi just to build credit so I can get the truck I want in a year or two. I want the diesel, but I was only approved for a $40000 vehical from Chrysler finacial, and I couldn't get a diesel for that. Since they wouldn't sell me the truck I WANTED, I took this one to drive to work and drive the hell out of, then trade it off and get the truck I WANT.

Why own a truck and race it? Well, if you guys had to drive on the roads I do to get to work, and drive around those leases, you'd know why I need a 4x4 truck. In a word, clearance. And I KNOW there will always be someone faster than me, thats not a problem. I'm currently building my old 1982 D150 to be a street rod with a 440 stroked to a 512 with a blower on it. My issue here is that a ONE TON FORD beat the crap out of my hemi, not JUST in top end, but acceleration too. Thats DISGRACEFUL! This is the 'Mighty Hemi!(TM)" Its SUPPOSED to have *****, and inspire fear. Not get its *** handed to it by a bigger heavier truck, turbo be damned.

So back to my original question, is a superchip flashpaq worth it for the 17 horse and 26 torque, or is there something better I should be looking at?
Thanks again!

Old 10-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Foiled
Veteran

If you only want the speed limit removal you can do the key trick.

It's the shifting that you will fall in love with from a tuned program. Torque Management makes the Hemi seem so much weaker then it really is. But if you want to be faster then any "stock" truck out there buy a STS kit.

But as I have said before, HP/Torque does not make up for ****ting driving.

I think the only reason he got you was because he could downshift and have a spooled up turbo. Off the line I do not think he would have caught you. But I do not know. I have never been side by side with a ford 350 SD. Just because he said he doesn’t have a tuned program doesn’t mean he is not lying.

I think the other guys are just used to hearing people talk about racing down a city street. If you talk about street racing be sure to explain that you are on an out of town road or on the track.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Foiled
Veteran

Oh ya. If you have less then 5k miles on your truck I would not expect it to be full power. There is a break-in. I also hope you are not racing with that low of miles either. You may have more "ego" issues when the dealer denies warranty because of abuse.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:10 PM
smokinjoe
Rookie

i might be way off key here, but do you have the MDS hemi? if so, try putting in tow haul or O/D off.

like i said i could be way wrong, but if the MDS is on, then there is little to no acceleration

Old 10-17-2007, 02:11 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

the flashpaq is the tuner of choice on most forums there are new ones in development but none out yet.... the good thing about a flashpaq is that it is updatable on the internet so you are always up to date...

Old 10-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Malbolgia

Yeah, I have over 5k on the truck, I wasn't gonna race it without a break in period. I've built motors before, nothing kills em faster than not giving the seals and rings time to seat.
It IS a MDS hemi, but supposedly thats not supposed to matter. Its supposed to kick in in .04 seconds, and kick out as fast, with no loss of perfomance according to Chrysler. I never tried it with the Tow/Haul off, thats something to try I guess.
And so no one else tries it, I got bold and tried the key trick(hoping like hell my starter wouldn't grenade on me) and it didn't work. Didn't even make a sound like the old ones did when you turned the key when it was running. Guess they must have put a safety in the new starters so they wont engage while its running or something. So no, the key trick wont disable a governer on a 2007 ram hemi.
And I know the guy doesn't have a chip in his truck, I've worked with him for almost a year now and driven his truck around the lease to fuel it up or move it out of the way and whatever. The chipped trucks handle differently than the non chipped, even my other co-workers truck at 50% was a huge difference.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I could do that. . .unfortuantely I hit the rev limiter long before I hit the speed limiter. . .dang 4.10's[:@]

but hookin bumpers and I'll pull you every which way till I run out of diesel

Old 10-17-2007, 04:46 PM
hemiman05

turning the overdrive off/ tow haul on makes a huge difference. your able to hold a more steady shot at accelerating alot quicker then having the mds on. the shift points also change, you wont have to put your foot down into it as much to grab a lower gear. its a great advantage when your on the highway and dont wanna hit overdrive. or if you know your coming up to a over 45mph hill.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:42 PM
manogmin
Professional

i have a 2003 hemi stock except the flows, and i have lined up against 250 and 350 alike and i dont blow them away, but i can take them. hy dad has a 350 sd he is in love with, and i had to beat him and i have a buddy in town that has a 250 slightly modified and i took him. i think it was the rpm range you were in. the hemi has low torque in the mid range, and the turbo diesel doesnt, it's stout all the way through. plus the spooling of the turbo was in his favor too. if you went at it from the line, you would take him.

Quick Reply: Hurt Ego