3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hurt Ego

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:13 PM
livetokite
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hurt Ego

MDS or not doesn't make a diffrence in performance i've noticed.. with exhaust you can hear it kick in..

when nailing it, the MDS will NOT kick in, unless you are lightly holding the pedel down.. around 1500 rpm's you can hear it kick in after a few seconds.

but does not affect any performance.. only thing turning overdrive off would do is change the shift points.
and MDS will not kick in at low RPM's

but when you are in MDS you can hear it pop out (sounds like that) as soon as you hit the gas.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:14 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont feel bad, your truck wasnt made to race, your driving a vehicle designed to work. You guys are crazy racing around in your pickups. A buddy of mine has an SRT-4, that he put a few grand into, its pushing about an even 300hp, that things out of control. Sometimes he actually gets an occasional dodge ram hemi or cummins that wants to "race" him. He doesnt even humor them, its not worth it ya know? My point is its a 4 banger, thats turbo charged, and its bullet proof, anything goes today ya know?

Arent an Acura MDX's numbers better then a ram 5.7l Hemi in a ram pickup?

I am more interested in where you can GET a Ram to GO, at only a crawl. Know what I mean?

Beautiful work trucks though.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:43 PM
performanceag
Rookie

My hemi gets my diesel off the line till the 100 ft., unless I spool up the CTD. If the CTD is spooled up, it'sc-ya I'm gone! It will smoke the hemi everytime. Both trucks have 3.73's and 33x12.50 Cooper stt's.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Ben D.
Champion

I have to agree any racing on public roads is a stupid idea. but first of all tehre's no such thing as a 6.9L CTD

Old 10-17-2007, 10:38 PM
casper3380
Veteran

The start position didnt work because the 07 (for sure possibly the 06) has a tipstart feature. As for superduties, i played with one once with my v8 explorer and he couldnt leave me. His was stock. That guy probably has something done on it. Ford gears their trucks so soft. Probably modded to a degree but makes him look better to deny it. Look at it this way, he is stuck with the ford m8. He could have had a ctd or hemi, but he blew it.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:36 AM
RJTDakotaBoy
Professional

Yeah those Ford's are all Show no go. I have a Dakota with a 4.7 and I took a 05 Super Duty with a Power Stroke off the line like cake... Easy beans. And even if one does beat me I'd still rather be seen in a Dodge... Cummin not Power Strokin... Catch my drift

Old 10-18-2007, 04:45 AM
Malbolgia

I have to agree with you guys, I too would much rather be seen in a Dodge than a Ford. I've driven many makes over the years, but only ever owned Dodge/Chrysler.
Yeah, we are crazy for racing on public roads, but hey at least when you're racing on the highway and can see for 10 miles in every direction, you only feel like half an idiot.
I've ordered a superchips flashpaq to get rid of the top end limiter and play around with it, see if it 'wakes the beast up' like some of the reviews I've read said. Never can be sure if those are spoofed or not these days.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:44 AM
sa1765
Veteran

or...from the line he'd have the turbo spooled and leave you behind, choking on smoke before you ever rolled an inch forward. what do you want here???a faster truck? get the turbo or supercharger...it'll be alot faster. but if dodge said you can't afford more than a $40,000 (i'm guessing canadian money)...why can you afford a $4,000 turbo upgrade. if you're trying to build credit for the next truck...in a year or two you'll still be in the hole on this one (if you financed the whole thing)...maybe even 3 years. if this truck is really going to be gone in a year or two, leave it alone, don't sink another dollar into it and save for the truck you really want....the ford.
you made the mistake of buying the truck you didn't want, i know it sucks, but take it like a man. i made the same mistake and am still pissed about it. but i'm sure as hell not going to go crazy sinking money into it if it's gonna be gone soon. i'm going to continue to treat it like the truck i don't want for a few more years...then i'm getting exactly what i want.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Ok here are some things to think about.

MDS:
* Will only kick in under a low or no load condition, it is designed to save gas when crusing at steady speeds. (If you have got your foot in it - it is not going to engage)
* Will hamper your top end not because of it gas saving ability but because ofthe physical design of the lifters, me thinks they be rated for around 5500 RPMs and can fail if you take them above that range a lot. * They weren’t designed with drag racing in mind.

Superchips Tuner:
* I have read that the 2007s don’t get the Shift Point adjustments (I may be wrong)
* Will let you increase your Speed Limiter (140 on my 2006 anyway)
* Will let you increase your Rev Limiter (I really played around with the setting a lot, final comfort zone for me was 5850 RPM - again I rarely almost never take her up that high)
* Will let you chose a Performance Tune using 91 or better Octane fuel (I use the Performance Tune and Chevron 93 because I get better mileage and performance, after some math it was worth it to me)

Transmission:
Again something that wasn’t designed for drag racing. Never race from a rolling start. Lots of people will chime in here and tell you of the weak *** link of the 2nd – 2nd gear issue. Yeah you read that right you have two 2nd gears.

Drive Shaft:
Look under your truck if its rusty you’re probably ok.
If it’s Aluminum you have the exploding driveshaft (read Hemiyellow’s post - scary stuff)
https://dodgeforum.com/m_1001322/tm.htm

Rear End:
What is the gear ratio of you rear end? (Me thinks this may be where you should start your Mods)
Even though we have the dreaded C-Clip issue, other than that we have a pretty darn good rear end IMO.

Intake / Exhaust:
The Stock Hemi muffler is garbage (and is the size of a garbage can to boot, remember “More out needs More in” so Intake and exhaust go hand in hand) Don’t let dumb asses tell you CAI are useless - to get maximum performance you need to do both Intake and Exhausts together. Done one at a time will not give you the same results as doing them together.

Cams / Lifters:
This is where you can get some good ponies. I believe Hammer told me that KRC can provide a custom tune to specific cams they sell and that’s most cool! I’m sure other performance shops offer this as well.
Also here is where you can get rid of MDS altogether if you so wish.

Heads:
Another great way to get some good power, I would recommend having the heads and cam done together. Lots of dollars tho.

Turbo Chargers:
Rock On! If you can afford it get it!

NOS:
I really don’t recommend Nitrous, leave that to your local Dentist.

All in All the little 350 Hemi (Yeah I’m old school – screw that metric liter crap) is one of the best small blocks out there IMO and can be coaxed into a true NA fire breathing monster.

My 2 cents

P.S Diesels will always have more Torque; it’s just the nature of the beast.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Malbolgia

sa1765, its not that I can't personaly afford to spend the 4 grand on a turbo charger, its that right now I can't justify spending the money on it. A few months down the road, perhaps. I as only approved for a $40000 truck from Chrysler finacial because it was my first new vehical, and my credit rating wasn't high enough for them to chance me with more. People have screwed the car companies over in the past and now because of it, guys like me get screwed because they wont give us credit. I make over $70000 a year, and I honestly don't have that many bills to worry about.
And by the way, save up and get the truck I want, the Ford? Are you kidding me? Notonly do they always seem to steal the design of the truck from Dodge, the drivetrains are something I don't trust and don't want. I WANT the cummins diesel, with 6.7 with the 650 lbs/ft of torque. To me, thats the real truck motor in todays Dodge trucks. The 345 Hemi is nothing compared to the 426 Hemi of old. Gas miliage be damned, I'm far to young to care about that at this time in my life, and keeping a 426 tuned would at least keep me busy.
If I could get the 426 crate motor and drop it in my truck, I probably would, but that would take SIGNIFIGANT mods and it hardly seems worth it to **** around THAT much on a truck with full warrenty on it.
If I could, I'd consider an STR10 dodge ram next year, but sadly, they stopped making it in 06. Why Dodge, why?

Quick Reply: Hurt Ego