3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:42 PM
morepower29
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunroof

what do you guys think about aftermarket sunroofs

Old 10-18-2007, 09:55 PM
peoples1234
Rookie
Default RE: sunroof

Generally I think they are a bad idea. Not because they might leak, etc, but they are considered frame damage that has to be disclosedat any auto auction. For that reason I would worry about resale value and would not put in an aftermarket sunroof.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:33 PM
ray97
Veteran

Someone asked this question a few weeks ago and the overwhelming concensus was not a good idea because of them leaking.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:39 PM
morepower29
Professional

I used to hear about the ones installed years ago leaking but i haven't heard about or actualy know anyone that hashad one done in the past few years. I really want a sunroof in my QC$1200 installed 3year wrnty on the roof itself and lifetime on leaking. the wrnty soundt good but if it were to leak the hastle would drive me crazy

Old 10-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Hemi #643

My 2006 charger was in the shop four times with a factory sunroof because the bolts kept falling out of the frame and rolled around in the headliner. This was even after all of the bolts had locktight. Everytime I got the car back the headliner had to be detailed to remove the grease.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:16 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this boo-hooing about aftermarket sunroofs. Ever heard of Webasto? They make many OEM sunroofs. There's no more inherent danger of leaking with a properly installed aftermarket sunroof than an OEM unit. It's no longer the 1980s - it's no longer a cheap popup unit sealed with blobs of silicone.

And what's up with the "frame damage" branding? You don't do anything to the frame to install a sunroof. You don't remove any structural bracing. Sounds like a bunch of scare tactics to me.

Finally, I do realize that Dodge says to not add a sunroof to any truck equipped with side curtain airbags. This is the only valid reason I've seen that someone should avoid adding a sunroof.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:33 PM
peoples1234
Rookie

ORIGINAL: John M

All this boo-hooing about aftermarket sunroofs. Ever heard of Webasto? They make many OEM sunroofs. There's no more inherent danger of leaking with a properly installed aftermarket sunroof than an OEM unit. It's no longer the 1980s - it's no longer a cheap popup unit sealed with blobs of silicone.

And what's up with the "frame damage" branding? You don't do anything to the frame to install a sunroof. You don't remove any structural bracing. Sounds like a bunch of scare tactics to me.

Finally, I do realize that Dodge says to not add a sunroof to any truck equipped with side curtain airbags. This is the only valid reason I've seen that someone should avoid adding a sunroof.

Why exactly would I try and scare someone from getting a sunroof? It doesn't matter to mewhat anyone does, but that it what I was toldfrom a client of mine who owns a dealership and buys from auto auctions. He has no reason to lie, and I have no reason to not believe him. I suppose that you know everything, and everyone else isjustignorant. Touché.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:41 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a aftermarket sunroof installed on my previous truck, and had no problems......I had the pop-up removable version...
I took it to the same place that the dealership does, when a customer comes in and says they want a sunroof.. I think as long as you send it to a reputable dealer you should be ok....... I didn't get one on this truck, because it's a Pick-up...

Old 10-20-2007, 02:30 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: peoples1234

Why exactly would I try and scare someone from getting a sunroof? It doesn't matter to mewhat anyone does, but that it what I was toldfrom a client of mine who owns a dealership and buys from auto auctions. He has no reason to lie, and I have no reason to not believe him. I suppose that you know everything, and everyone else isjustignorant. Touché.
Quit taking things so personally. You're not trying to scare anyone. People who claim they're nothing but a leak-fest are; most of the time they haven't owned an aftermarket sunroof-equipped vehicle in several decades.

I didn't say you were ignorant. Call me a know-it-all all you want but I refuse to blindly accept what anyone tells me. That's called gullible. The internet is full of sheep who blindly believe what some random guy told them. I invite anyone to investigate anything I've ever stated for themselves - don't take my word on anything.

Go ahead and look for any documentation on the whole sunroof = damage claim -- there isn't any out there. So, which is more compelling: some guy's statement, or a complete lack of substantiating information from any other source? Odds are pretty good that if this were indeed true, someone else would have mentioned it in the vast collection of knowledge we call the web.

BTW, Webasto builds BMW sunroofs so they're doing something right. ASC, another sunroof company, builds entire retractable hardtop assemblies for various manufacturers. Again, that's not exactly like having a glass square held in place with silicone.

Quick Reply: sunroof