3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric Fan and Towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:53 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Electric Fan and Towing

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

there is one in my near future on a lot of forums these are popular though i have been told a flex a lite 180 is a good choice hemiyellow has one!
Get the Flex-A-Lite, super easy install, great docs. The recon lights were way more difficult (and more nerve wracking too). If you can do them youself, this install will be a breeze. Fits right in the existing shroud, so you can keep your radiator & windshield wash reservoirs right where they are.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:06 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have personally seen Dodge Rams and Ford F150s/SuperDooties
running through Death Valley in caravans of trucks
testing out cooling systems towing trailers.

It is my guess that
the stock clutch fan, water pump, radiator, 16 psi cap, 50/50 anti-freeze
is all part of a system that will successfully tow
the rated pounds through 100 degree heat up 6% grades
at speeds of 45 to 70 mph
without going past 240 degrees F of coolant temperature.

I don't believe an electrical fan could take the place of a clutch fan in those kind of conditions, but it could be successful at lower temperatures, lesser hills, or with lighter trailer loads.

Roughly 50 amps of DC current from your alternator
is equivalent to about 1 horsepower on the fan.

I believe the stock clutch fan uses 1.2 to 1.5 hp when unengaged and it is slipping in the silicone fluid at about 900 rpm,
and this climbs rapidly with rpm when the clutch engages
going up to about 20 hp at 4000+ rpm.

You can think of the unengaged stock clutch fan
as equivalent to an 'always on' electric fan
that pulls about 60 amps.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:56 AM
luis_defreitas
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where do i buy it????

can some one help me!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:43 AM
kregier
Veteran

You can get them here,

http://www.krcperformance.com/krc/in...&Itemid=26

or here

http://moesperformance.com/index.php...&cPath=1_9

Might be able to find them on ebay to.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:19 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HankL

I have personally seen Dodge Rams and Ford F150s/SuperDooties
running through Death Valley in caravans of trucks
testing out cooling systems towing trailers.

It is my guess that
the stock clutch fan, water pump, radiator, 16 psi cap, 50/50 anti-freeze
is all part of a system that will successfully tow
the rated pounds through 100 degree heat up 6% grades
at speeds of 45 to 70 mph
without going past 240 degrees F of coolant temperature.

I don't believe an electrical fan could take the place of a clutch fan in those kind of conditions, but it could be successful at lower temperatures, lesser hills, or with lighter trailer loads.

Roughly 50 amps of DC current from your alternator
is equivalent to about 1 horsepower on the fan.

I believe the stock clutch fan uses 1.2 to 1.5 hp when unengaged and it is slipping in the silicone fluid at about 900 rpm,
and this climbs rapidly with rpm when the clutch engages
going up to about 20 hp at 4000+ rpm.

You can think of the unengaged stock clutch fan
as equivalent to an 'always on' electric fan
that pulls about 60 amps.

So if i understand you correctly, you're saying that a "electric fan" is not necessary. Is this right?

Old 10-22-2007, 11:22 AM
luis_defreitas
Rookie

it is the same for 4.7 engines?

Old 10-22-2007, 01:30 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

NYPANAMA42:
Take my advice, see the little red hand on the bottom of HankL's post? Click on it....

E-fans are by no means necessary. Neither are Cat-Back exhausts, tuners, CAI's, Headers, or any other mods. Your truck will run just fine the way it comes from the factory. So to answer your question, no, it is not necessary, but does it free up some horsepower for use at the rear wheels? YES. Is it a whole ton of horsepower? Not at all. But, in combination with other mods, it does performs it's function quite well.
ALL racers use an e-fan! Plus, you will NEVER have to worry about overheating in heavy traffic, as the e-fan pulls just as much air sitting still as it does at highway speed. It also has a couple of HUGE advantages off-road. You are usually moving along at a crawl off road, so you are moving a vast amount more air with the e-fan as you would with the stock fan. Also, an efan can be equipped with a very inexpensive dash mounted on/off switch, so the fan could be turned off while crossing streams or in heavy mud, etc., so as to not suck water and/or debris into your delicateradiator fins.
It's basically for off-road use that I put mine in. But I've already gotten stuck on I-95 traffic, miles behind an accident, and watched a few over heat or get close and have to pull off the side to shut down and let it cool down, while my temp. needle never budged!
Remember when at idle or barely moving, your stock fan is pulling almost no air across that radiator, while an E-fan is moving it's rated cfm all the time.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:26 PM
FSUHEMI
Rookie

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

NYPANAMA42:
Take my advice, see the little red hand on the bottom of HankL's post? Click on it....

E-fans are by no means necessary. Neither are Cat-Back exhausts, tuners, CAI's, Headers, or any other mods. Your truck will run just fine the way it comes from the factory. So to answer your question, no, it is not necessary, but does it free up some horsepower for use at the rear wheels? YES. Is it a whole ton of horsepower? Not at all. But, in combination with other mods, it does performs it's function quite well.
ALL racers use an e-fan! Plus, you will NEVER have to worry about overheating in heavy traffic, as the e-fan pulls just as much air sitting still as it does at highway speed. It also has a couple of HUGE advantages off-road. You are usually moving along at a crawl off road, so you are moving a vast amount more air with the e-fan as you would with the stock fan. Also, an efan can be equipped with a very inexpensive dash mounted on/off switch, so the fan could be turned off while crossing streams or in heavy mud, etc., so as to not suck water and/or debris into your delicateradiator fins.
It's basically for off-road use that I put mine in. But I've already gotten stuck on I-95 traffic, miles behind an accident, and watched a few over heat or get close and have to pull off the side to shut down and let it cool down, while my temp. needle never budged!
Remember when at idle or barely moving, your stock fan is pulling almost no air across that radiator, while an E-fan is moving it's rated cfm all the time.
+1 all the way, especially the part about the little red hand

and NYPANAMA42 the fan i mentioned i believe is off a lincoln mark VIII car, its the one i was told to look into because you can get the used for about $200 cheaper than the flexlite 180 and pullsabout double but i believe the have to remove your stock fan shroud and use the one that comes with the fan, so there may be some custom fabbing to do. if you can get ahold of AirRam, i believe he has the mark VII on his 4.7 he should be able to tell you exactly whats involved.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:21 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a gain in MPG with an electric fan when the truck is not towing.

As I have said in prior posts (search)
removing the 5 bladed fan but leaving the viscous clutch in place
and then mounting an electric fan inside the shroud
at a spot that does not interfere with putting the stock fan blades back on
might be the best of both worlds. The stock blades could be put on much faster and easier if it was precisely cut in two at the flange, so that you would not have to take off the large 36 mm clutch nut.

This way the electric fan could be used when the truck was doing light duty
but when towing in challenging conditions
the stock fan blade could be put back on
and either used alone or...in 'super series flow' mode...with the electric fan turned on too.

An even better modification might be to go with the fan that is powered by the power steering fluid like on some of the Lexus models.

With winter temperatures coming,
most Ram owners could remove their fans (except in deep South)
and find out for themselves how much fuel economy benefit exists for them that would justify spending $ or time.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:20 AM
kregier
Veteran

ORIGINAL: HankL
With winter temperatures coming,
most Ram owners could remove their fans (except in deep South)
and find out for themselves how much fuel economy benefit exists for them that would justify spending $ or time.
Okay, who ever is beating him with the stupid stick, please stop. It's just not funny anymore. I live in a part of Canada where winter temperatures routinely hit -30F. Hank, if your fan stops working, even if it's that cold, your engine will over heat.

Quick Reply: Electric Fan and Towing