3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

thin paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 01:22 PM
antman11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thin paint

is it just me or is the paint on all 07 rams very thin and easily scratched geez it seems that if anything comes in contact w/my truck i have a new little scratch the clearcoat is definetly microscopic i mean if you miss the lock and touch the door w/ the key ....a new scratch ....and i dont mean "keying" the door color is inferno red crystal clearcoat i am actually thinking of taking it to a body shop and getting it painted w/ a real clearcoat i love the truck and the color but the paint is definetly not very durable

Old 10-20-2007, 01:52 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: thin paint

Funny thing....I have a 02, and on a post some months back i mentioned this same thing. One of the other posters said i was complaining about nothing.....I don't know about your truck, but on mine it looks like they painted it once, applied a clear coat, and that was it....Not even the touch-up paint brings it back looking good.....
My wife has a 1999 Mercedes Benz, and they must have painted that car 10 ten times, because there are no chips on it.....

Old 10-23-2007, 12:56 PM
vwomein
Professional

yeah, me too. I have an 05 Q.C. It seems like the paint is very "fragile", if you will.
It seems like its not very durable at all.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

actually, i had my paint peel on my front bumper, took it to the dealer and said they cant do it bc it was formed by a rock chipand then looks like i sanded it...there is about 4 inches hight and 6 inches width of peel...took it to a body shop, got written consent that the damage was NOT due to rock chips or any type of impact and WAS due to a paint defect. took it back and they said the same thing as the 1st time, i told them bull**** and pulled out the paperwork from the body shop. they took pics and sent it to dodge and got it approved, now i just need to find time to take the truck in

Old 10-23-2007, 07:41 PM
SWOS Chief
Veteran

ORIGINAL: vwomein

yeah, me too. I have an 05 Q.C. It seems like the paint is very "fragile", if you will.
It seems like its not very durable at all.
Dude, have I seen that monster truck with the ride along part at the Bloomsburg, PA 4X4 Jamboree?

Old 10-24-2007, 11:50 AM
vwomein
Professional

yeah, they had this truck at a fair by my home, giving rides in the mud. I had to do it

Old 10-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning

Every other vehicle I have owned I have had issues with scratching but my ram does not. Over a year and not a single scratch.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:31 PM
bwhite757
All Star

i haven't had mine that long, but my dog put it to the test the other day. I had jumped into the back of the truck to move something around in the bed and my dog got jealous so she runs up to the lifted tail gate and then I hear it. The horrible sound of dog nails clawing down the tail gate, over and over!!! Mind you the truck was only a week old at the time. I jump down yelling and cussing my dog, come around to the back, and what do you know, not a single mark.. I was amazed.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:39 PM
anxioustimes

My 2002 QCis that charcoal color and EVERYTHING scratches my truck! I find new scratches on it every day! I can't even begin to think of where they come from and I have tried using Rubbing Compound on them and Scratch-X and neither of them are working on them. I mean the smallest scratch goes right through the clear coat! I have to say I agree!

Old 10-29-2007, 12:59 PM
chongo
Veteran

I just bought my 07 and the dealership I bought it from put their little sitcker logo on the tailgate - when I went to peel it off it peeled some of the paint off - I left the sticker on but should the dealership I bought it from be responsible for taking care of that or am I just SOL?

Quick Reply: thin paint