3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Ram owner, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:42 PM
brihvac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ram owner, some questions

This is the first Mopar vehicle I have ever owned. I have owned numerous Chevys and Fords. I sold my 2001 F350 Superduty diesel to get this 2007 1500 quad cab w/Hemi.
I have a couple questions

I read in the manual that they recommend 89 octane but 87 is "acceptable" ??
What oil should I use? 5w/20 or 5w/30
What is the differance between the tow/haul mode and the normal mode?
Does the tow haul mode dissable that fuel saving thing?
How can I get better mileage?

I ordered dual exhaust with the Flowmaster super 44 muffler
Will a intake get me better mileage?
How about just changing the filter to a K&N?
Will I get the same results just doing the filter and not a full intake?

I dont know if somethings wrong with my computer or what but I have tried searching all this stuff and it keeps telling me no results.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:59 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: New Ram owner, some questions

well hello and[sm=welcomesign.gif] to the forum! first things first as far as better gas mileage intake exhaust and tuner... do the tuner last... as far as which one you can use the search feature and you will see many posts about this. the "fuel saving thingy" also known as mds doesnt disable in tow haul mode to my knowledge.... the mds motors use 5w20 oil and i reccomend a good synthetic like amsoil although many run mobil 1.... the 87 octane can be ran in the engine i wouldnt reccomend it thought it drives nicer with the 89!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:03 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: brihvac

This is the first Mopar vehicle I have ever owned. I have owned numerous Chevys and Fords. I sold my 2001 F350 Superduty diesel to get this 2007 1500 quad cab w/Hemi.
I have a couple questions

I read in the manual that they recommend 89 octane but 87 is "acceptable" ??
What oil should I use? 5w/20 or 5w/30
What is the differance between the tow/haul mode and the normal mode?
Does the tow haul mode dissable that fuel saving thing?
How can I get better mileage?

I ordered dual exhaust with the Flowmaster super 44 muffler
Will a intake get me better mileage?
How about just changing the filter to a K&N?
Will I get the same results just doing the filter and not a full intake?

I dont know if somethings wrong with my computer or what but I have tried searching all this stuff and it keeps telling me no results.

Let's see, I'll try to tackle a few of these:

89 for optimum performance and fuel economy, don't feel bad, I have a ton of mods and I have to burn 93!
5w/20 in your '07, I use 5w/30 in my '04, but they switched to the thinner oil around the time they came out with the MDS system. I'm told it's VERY important you MDS guys use 5w/20.
Mainly tranny shift points, so it's not constantly changing gears while towing, burning up your tranny. I don't know if it disables you MDS, I'll have to defer this to someone with MDS.
It's a Hemi Truck, if you wanted better gas mileage you shoulda bought a Volkwagon! The MDS will help you a lot, especially on the highway, but you can start with a the cat-back and a CAI.

Oh, and these are ALL often talked about subjects, a search should have yielded TONS of threads!!!

Hold off on the tuner for a bit, even the ones on the market for the '07 doesn't do much for it yet...

Old 10-28-2007, 11:42 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi. The manual calls for 89 octane, performnace and milage is better than 87. Your truck still has to braek in, so at first you will not notice a diferance betwean 87 and 89 octane ( mileage wise ) and the $$$ you will save with 87 will be offset in the extra mainatance ( sparkplugs, oil changes)

I use mobil 1 5/20 synth, but dino oil is as good if you change your oil more ofton, syn can extend your oil change intervills a little longer and is better over all for the engine life and mileage.

My hemi is in a 06 2500 with a 6sp manual, I hate automtics and I did not want MDS, and I'm sure the mds is not active when in tow haul mode.

Dual ex is going to make a big improvement in mileage/performance but wait for the truck to gain some miles, than you have numbers to work with to see what gains your getting.

The K/N filter by it self is a waste of money, best to go for a full CAI

Old 10-29-2007, 01:25 AM
JD1500
Record Breaker

Tow haul changes shift points, turns off MDS, and gets rid of some overdrive gears. O/D off does just that. Gets rid of all od gears.

I use Amsoil 5/20. make sure you use 5/20 the mds has to have it.

i get 12-15 around town, 10-12 towing and 17-19 highway. Calculated, not lie o meter. All i have is magnaflow muffler, new piping and all resonators removed.

Quick Reply: New Ram owner, some questions