3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thottle Position Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:02 AM
misplaced_rage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thottle Position Sensor Question

I replaced my throttle postion sensor (TPS) the other night after it when ape on me. Truck was idling fine, then when I tapped the gas and left off, the truck would just die. I noticed the check engine light was on, so I plugged in my Superchips Microtuner and pulled the DTC - P0121. Referenced the almighty Haynes manual, and sure enough TPC. So I limped to AutoZone, and picked up a new one. Now that the background info is clarified, here is the purpose of my post. Now, intermittently, when I start my truck, I get a high idle. It cranks up fine, then it just idles at 2,000 RPM. When I put it in gear, the RPMs drop down to the normal range. It only happens every so often though. Like this morning, I got in, cranked her up, and she idled at around 700 RPM (which is the norm for my truck). Anybody have any clues to why my truck is acting weird like this?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:31 AM
sddunn2
Professional
Default RE: Thottle Position Sensor Question

did you try reseting your computer after you installed the new tps maybe it still thinks that the old one is in there and it is adjusting accordingly just a thought ??

Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 AM
misplaced_rage

how do i reset the computer? doesn't that involve disconnecting the battery for like a half hour or something?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:42 AM
sddunn2
Professional

I dont know for your model truck but by disconnecting the battery Im sure that would reset it

Old 10-29-2007, 10:45 AM
misplaced_rage

alrighty...i'll try that this afternoon...gotta head out and turn in all my gear (and by gear i mean all my military issue gear, cuz i'm finally leaving this infantry unit!!)

Old 10-29-2007, 10:47 AM
sddunn2
Professional

good luck and have fun !!

Old 10-29-2007, 03:15 PM
misplaced_rage

well i "reset" the comptuer by disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes, and now the truck is idling irratically. at idle it came close to stalling out a few times, and when i was driving, making a right hand turn it acutally stalled out. started right back up though. the DTC I am getting is P0121, which is either a faulty TPS or the TPS - voltage doesn't agree with MAP sensor signal. Any ideas on how to remedy this problem?

Quick Reply: Thottle Position Sensor Question