3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 Transmission Grinding

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:50 AM
manipulators
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Transmission Grinding

I have a 2007 Ram 1500 Quadcab Hemi.

When I put it in reverse, it briefly makes a terrible grinding sound. I can do nothing but visualize the metal shavings clogging the transeverytime it put it in reverse.

I have took it to the dealer 3 times now. They have spent a significant amount of time looking it over and have put it in reverse a million times to listen to the sound. They said there is no service bulletin, and really do not know what to make of the noise. Finally the last time they checked some other new trucks on the lot. Out of about 20 new trucks, they found 4 others that were doing the same thing.

Because of this, they came to the conclusion that this is a normal condition, and once again returned the truck to me. I am sorry, I may not be a mechanic, but even I know it is not normal for gears to be grinding inside a transmission, especially on a brand new vehicle. I am going to take it to another dealership this week.

In the meantime, does anyone know or have an idea what is causing this problem? I have seen a few other people mention it here also.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:58 AM
TANKZ400
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Transmission Grinding

Check my post below
Here comes the problem's
It's the transmisson acuactor it's just loud.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:56 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2007 Transmission Grinding

Yep, mine makes a pretty loud clunk into reverse, especially if the motor is still a little cold. I chaulk it up to normal b/c the RPM's are a little high when you first start it to warm the truck up. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong and it's tearing the tranny apart, then I'll be able to exercise that lifetime warranty!!

Quick Reply: 2007 Transmission Grinding