3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Differences between Tow/Haul mode and O/D Off

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007 | 08:27 AM
juanovm
|
Rookie
Default Differences between Tow/Haul mode and O/D Off

I have had my truck for over a month now and I am loving however........
Having switch from an RT Magnum, I feel sometimes a lack in power and perhaps engine response.
I have read a lot about people driving around town in Tow/Haul mode or O/D Off.
I have not played with it enough to be able to make a determination of what the difference between the two modes really is.

Since we have a 5 speed transmission, is the O/D off like 4th gear and the Tow/Haul mode like 3rd?

I just want to be able to push the pedal and have the car respond right away, in the magnun since it had "fakershift" (tiptronic transmission) it was just tap tap and I was in 3rd gear

thanks in advance

Old 10-30-2007 | 08:41 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: Differences between Tow/Haul mode and O/D Off

tow haul will just hold out gears longer and cut out your overdrive gear it sounds like you want stronger throttle response...... try getting a tuner and some other peformance upgrades and it will be plenty touchy...

Old 10-30-2007 | 10:20 AM
SWOS Chief
Veteran

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

tow haul will just hold out gears longer and cut out your overdrive gear it sounds like you want stronger throttle response...... try getting a tuner and some other peformance upgrades and it will be plenty touchy...
+1

I believe Tow/Haul runs your revs higher before shift point, probably better for drag racing and beating the ricer next to you. OD off simply eliminates the OD gear.

Old 10-30-2007 | 03:34 PM
djr04
All Star

from what I've heard from people's dyno testing, tow/haul modifies shift points, and O/D off disables the overdrive.

Old 10-30-2007 | 05:43 PM
manogmin
Professional

that seems like the answer, but in my truck, the o/d off button also modifies the shift points. 03 hemi 4x4. i was wondering about that until a few weeks ago, under same load, held out gears longer, and also shifts harder. lots easier to burn tires.

Old 11-03-2007 | 06:20 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

The transmission is essentially a six-speed transmission. First gear, two second gears (one for up-shifts and one for down-shifts), third gear, fourth gear(overdrive), andfifth gear (more overdrive).
Tow/Haul mode disables fifth gear only, leaving you all the the other gears, and changes the shift points.
O/D Off mode disables fifth AND fourth gears. This keeps the transmission from having to go through so many up-shifts and down-shifts in heavy traffic or long hills. This is helpful to extend the life of the transmission.

Old 11-03-2007 | 11:10 PM
ray97
Veteran

Is there a difference between the od off and the tow/haul mode as in two different buttons???? All I see is the button on the end of my shifter.

Old 11-03-2007 | 11:30 PM
manogmin
Professional

i have only ever seen either one or the other in any vehicle, they serve the same purpose, just little different.

Old 11-04-2007 | 01:02 AM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

The O/D Off feature was added to the 2006 and later models. It uses the same button on the end of the shifter. Pushing it once engages the Tow/Haul mode (5th gear locked out). Pushing it again disables overdrive (4th and 5th gears locked out). I believe that is how it works. I am not fortunate enough to have the O/D Off feature as I have a 2005.

Old 11-04-2007 | 01:52 AM
topcop38
Professional

i have 3.92s and pulling my trailer at about 70 with the tow/haul engaged put me at about 2700 rpm. that sounds high to still be in OD (4th gear) doesn't it?

Quick Reply: Differences between Tow/Haul mode and O/D Off