3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

problem again!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:29 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem again!!!!!

alrite a few of you saw my spark plug thread and saw i swapped them out.... i dont know if my plugs are tight enough and im waiting on a tool to try and tighten them better bc i have too much trouble getting anything else back there to tighten them... my truck is getting like 8 miles to the gallon right now.... is this because of the spark plugs? shouldnt the CEL come on for this??

Old 10-31-2007, 12:53 PM
kregier
Veteran
Default RE: problem again!!!!!

If you've tightened them so they're nice and snug, that's plenty. And yeah, if a plug was misfiring, it should throw a code. Although you shouldn't have to, did you check the gap on the plugs before throwing them in? And does it feel like it's running rougher?

Old 10-31-2007, 12:55 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

its not really running rougher... i keep wonderin though if its a loose plug or wire... i didnt check the gap bc they were supposed to be pre gapped

Old 10-31-2007, 01:43 PM
kregier
Veteran

Yeah, they tend to come pre-gapped. My Dad heckles me everytime I do plugs on a vehicle because I check them anyway.

A loose wire is easy enough to check. Just go push down on them. You should feel it 'click' onto the plug, but if it was a plug or wire issue it should be misfiring. Hopefully someone else can chime in and actually help you out.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:46 PM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: kregier

Yeah, they tend to come pre-gapped. My Dad heckles me everytime I do plugs on a vehicle because I check them anyway.

A loose wire is easy enough to check. Just go push down on them. You should feel it 'click' onto the plug, but if it was a plug or wire issue it should be misfiring. Hopefully someone else can chime in and actually help you out.
I've regapped enough plugs in my day not to trust that they come pre-gapped!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:46 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though the plugs are pregapped, I have come across some that are slightly off. My question is did you change the wires? I would do quick pull and see if one of the wires are reading a high resistance. Alot of time, when the wires are pulled, some people will grab thatactual wire and not the boot and stretch out wiring. This will cause the wire to thin and read a higher resistance than what your vehicle is looking for. You cable should read very low ohms, if you are in the Kohm or higher, you have a damaged wire. Other than the gap, this is all I got unless you just got a bad plug in there. As far as how tight the plugs are, you are looking at finger tight, then maybe a 1/4 turn with a wrench to snug them in. To tight and they will crack.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:32 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost guaranteed they're tight enough. Only needs 14 ft-lbs.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:47 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

yea.. im gassing they are tight enough than... i just dont know why my gas mileage suckks sooooo horribly!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:45 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

your trucks dead.... time to get a new one!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:58 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

yea right!! well at least my next truck wont have spark plugs this truck is just wakin up though!!!

Quick Reply: problem again!!!!!