3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New dodge owner.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:57 PM
kristopher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New dodge owner.

I was looking to get rid of my 99 f-150. I got a decent deal on an 07 Ram with the 4.7. I like in so far exept it seems to idle a little rough when it's hot. Is this normal with this engine? It has 8000 miles on it so hopefully its nothing too serious.

What mileage should I expect? I'm a fairly conservative driver.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:05 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: New dodge owner.

[sm=welcomesign.gif]to the forum.... i dont personally drie a 4.7 but there is a sticky at the top with man members gas mileage posted

EDIT: i noticed the rough idle comment... how rough are you sayin??? i mean it might not be perfectly smooth but also the tach shouldnt be jumping...

Old 10-31-2007, 11:44 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

W/ my 03 4.7 QCSB 4X4 I get pretty close to 15 mpg, on average. But my truck has 3.55 gears and 33" tires. Alot of guys are getting better mileage than me with there 4.7. As for the rough idle my engine has 60,000, and it always idles extremely smooth hot, cold doesn't matter.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:26 AM
kristopher

I noticed last night that it as long as the RPMs stay at about 700 it idles just fine but for some reason the RPMs will drop to 500 athot idle(with the truck in gear) then it will studder and shake pretty bad. Its almost as if the idle is set too low but with a fuel injected motor I wouldnt have the first clue how to adjust that.

The only reason I ended up buying the 4.7 was because almost everyyone in the v-6 forum said that the 4.7 gets better MPG. I can believe it because when I test drove one it just seemed like it had to work so much harder to get this big truck up to speed. Hopefully I didnt make the wrong decision getting rid of my ford. I loved that truck.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:07 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

don't worry these trucks have converted many ford guys! The truck isnt delaying when driving or anything when you put it into gear.... right? It is probaly just a low idle... as far as changing it i believe a tuner would take care of that for you...

Quick Reply: New dodge owner.