3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remote Start & Security clash

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:09 PM
MARCUSKEELER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start & Security clash

Hi Guys.
Got a goody for you guys with remote starts.

Recently had the Mopar remote start installed on my 07 Hemi 1500. It works fine with the extra key fob, but despite it seemingly being unrelated to the stock remote entry, I have now problems with the keyless lock/unlock not working like 50% of the time. I haven't managed to work out exactly when it does it in relation to using the remote start, but basically, sometime the key just does NOT work. I mean, Nothing, Nada. To get the truck locked, or unlocked, I have to switch the ignition on and then off, then the key-less works !
I didn't use the remote start for a few days and have driven the truck about 10 times since then, sometimes the key-less works, sometimes it doesn't. the key is fine, i tried the second key and that also doesn't work.

i can see that it's going to be difficult with the dealer as they're like 30 miles away and you just know it'll work fine when I get there [:@]

Does anyone know of issues with this system?

Thanks
Marcus

Old 11-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Brother Rob
Retired Moderator
Default RE: Remote Start & Security clash

Have 'em fix it or remove it. You don't need the headache. You should just have an alarm w/remote installed. One fob and no clash...and you're protected from theft. I don't know how much the dealer charged you, but you could have had an alarm installed for close to the price of a dealer installed remote...I would imagine.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:11 PM
stunta666
Rookie

i got the same setup on mine and my problem is when you start the truck with the remote starter it shuts off and restarts here and there. i took it in and they blamed it on some hood pin which is backordered. i paid $700.00 canadian for the starter because i thought you'd have less problems with somethin from the factory.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:43 PM
BottledViolence

I have the same problem. I installed mine yesterday and now the keyless entry doesn't work. I'm waiting on my buddy at the dealership to talk to the techs. This is actually pretty common it seems. I'll post if I find a fix, please do the same. Hopefully someone can get a fix. Every person I've seen post this issue just gets entirely non-helpfull replies about other brands of remote start.

Personally I got the starter for free using Dodge credit card points and did the install myself. I think its only about $250 and it maintains the security key functionality.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:01 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem, only with mine it was only the door opener. Sometimes it would open the doors, and other times it wouldn't.
I took it to "Tweeters" which does alarm installs and he checked the wiring, and now, it works perfectly.

I don't know if you have a "Tweeters" out where you're at, but if you don't give "Circuit City/Best buy" a shot...Hope this helps.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:13 PM
MARCUSKEELER

OK Guys, it's sorted. here's the deal......

I took it back to the dealership and the tech guy played with it for a bit before calling in to Dodge for help. They told him there's a service bulletin out for this problem.

Basically, something is different about the data bus on 2007 trucks which clashes with the remote start integration. The service bulletin specifically mentions the "intermittent functionality of the keyless entry system".

Idon't have the bulletin reference unfortunately but push the dealership on this, there is a fix. The dealership has to order a repair-kit for this problem the part number for which is mentioned in the bulletin Mine is coming in tomorrow and hopefully I'll get time to have it installed soon.

Hope this helps more than the usual generic "Should have bought a different alarm" type response

Marcus

Old 11-09-2007, 12:38 PM
danelizer

I noticed you can't have the factory remote start and the alarm at the same time. I was going to order the factory alarm to install on my 07 but the literature says it will not work with vehicles with remote start. If there is a way to get around it I would like to know.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:03 AM
BLACKTRX4
Rookie

ORIGINAL: MARCUSKEELER

OK Guys, it's sorted. here's the deal......

I took it back to the dealership and the tech guy played with it for a bit before calling in to Dodge for help. They told him there's a service bulletin out for this problem.

Basically, something is different about the data bus on 2007 trucks which clashes with the remote start integration. The service bulletin specifically mentions the "intermittent functionality of the keyless entry system".

Idon't have the bulletin reference unfortunately but push the dealership on this, there is a fix. The dealership has to order a repair-kit for this problem the part number for which is mentioned in the bulletin Mine is coming in tomorrow and hopefully I'll get time to have it installed soon.

Hope this helps more than the usual generic "Should have bought a different alarm" type response

Marcus
Let us know how it turns out and details about the fix if you can. My 06 does the same thing sometimes unlocking the doors with the remote.

Quick Reply: Remote Start & Security clash