3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Truckputer. (I need a measurement from those with factory NAV)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:18 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dodge Truckputer. (I need a measurement from those with factory NAV)

Well, I'm looking to put a computer in my truck, as I had one in my last vehicle. It had Sirius, a good collection of MP3's, and Navigation. I've been looking at eBay and see there are a surplus of NAV bezels on there for sale. I need to know the measurements of the opening for the factory NAV unit so I know how big of a touch screen I can order for it. Any help is always greatly appreciated...

Basically I'm going for this look:

Old 11-04-2007, 09:34 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dodge Truckputer. (I need a measurement from those with factory NAV)

dang that is sick, how much do these run?

Old 11-04-2007, 09:54 PM
ThaChad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dodge Truckputer. (I need a measurement from those with factory NAV)

I think you'll find if you go to your local dealer, the NAV bezel's actually cost less than you can get them for on e-Bay, The problem is getting the right P/N for the Bezel you need...

That is awesome, But do you still get over the air radio with a computer?

-ThaChad

Old 11-04-2007, 10:20 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm eventually doing something similar, and I'm gonna do it with a USB FM tuner and the right adapter to hook it to the truck's antenna lead.

However, I now have to decide if the hardware I've collected over the past 2 years goes in the car or the truck.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:03 AM
bwhite757
All Star

Yeah, on my old sierra I had an FM tuner for the computer, there are a lot of free computer software packages out there you can use. If you're computer savvy, you can build one of these fairly cheap for everything it is capable of doing. My last one was something like this:

Touch Screen = $220
Sirius Tuner and Controller = $120
FM Tuner = $30
USB DVD Rom = $45
Misc Cables = $30
Power Supply = $55
Computer = Was my old personal computer so technically no money
GPS Receiver = $45
Wireless WiFi adaptor = $40

Grand total was around $600. I was getting the parts while I was custom making my screen to fit into my center console, the project took me a little over 4 months to complete, but I absolutely loved the result. My favorite part was the sirius, you could scroll through the channel list and see what was playing on a big screen instead of a tiny 3 line display. In my old truck I just used an aftermarket head unit with auxillary-in to push the sound to my speakers, but in my Dodge, I want to completely get rid of the radio and drive the speakers via seperate amps... I used a copy of Iguidance GPS software that my job actually supplied me, and it was great. Whenever you came to a turn, it would cut the radio out and you would hear turn-by-turn directions over your stereo just like factory OEM GPS.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:12 AM
JD1500
Record Breaker

Not to hijack, but is the factory radio opening Double DIn?

Old 11-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will try and measure an opening tomorrow at work for ya. But I do know that the radio is 7.38 inches high, 10.69 inches wide and 13.69 inches deep.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:08 PM
bwhite757
All Star

Thanks, that sounds good, should be able to squeeze a 10" touch screen in there if that's the case...

Old 11-27-2007, 02:06 AM
ThaChad
Professional

ORIGINAL: JD1500

Not to hijack, but is the factory radio opening Double DIn?
Yes, and No.

If you have the Factory Nav system then, It's actually larger than a double din opening, but there are install kits that bring the opened down to a double din.

If you have any other radio from the factory, than You can purchase the Nav Radio bezel, get the install kit, and you'll have double din. (This is for 06-08), I don't know about other years.

-ThaChad

Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 AM
zenkhky95

the stock opening for a head unit is for like 1.5 din its goofy but you can but new bezels to make it 2 din or just like a $10 dash kit to make it 1 din

Quick Reply: Dodge Truckputer. (I need a measurement from those with factory NAV)