3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do they still make an AWD Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:45 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do they still make an AWD Ram?

My grandfather is interested in getting a new Ram and he'd like one with fulltime AWD if they still make it. It'll be similar to mine - Laramie, quad cab, 4x4. However, their "build one" website lists two kinds of electronic trasnsfer cases without elaborating on their differences.

Once I know if they make 'em or not, then I get the fun of trying to find one!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:09 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do they still make an AWD Ram?

hmm i honestly dont think they make an awd ram.... as far as what is the difference between the two... i wish i knew... call the dealer ask them and let us know!!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:20 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If they do, be carefull, I know mods are a "biotch" on them, if you look at specs, almost everything says "not for use on AWD models"...
I guess if it's gonna be stock, mostly stock he'd be OK.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Foiled
Veteran

They make them as said before. They are rare.

The difference is 4WD spins all 4 tires at the same speed. That is why you can not drive on pavement with 4WD. The front end will bind up.

AWD provides power to all 4 wheels and allow for the wheels to spin at a different rate. Just like how an Anti Spin / Limited Spin Diff work. Some AWD autos use transaxles to allow this so they get 4 wheel independent suspension and AWD.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the front wheels do not have a locker tires running at 2 different speeds (cornering) is not a problem. As far as the difference between the two diffs:
First;2wd, 4 Hi, 4 Low
Second; 2wd, 4 Auto, 4 Hi, and 4 Low

The 4 auto automatically engages into 4 Hi when the computer senses a loss of traction. It could be considered similar to an AWD.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Hemiriden
Professional

I think he is refering to the Shift-on-the-fly vs the shift-on-demand... the shift on the fly is part time... use it only when of road or when you have plenty of tire slip or you will bind the front... Shift on demand is a True AWD. it has a 2 position electric switch. AWD and 4 WD... the switch is for when going off road it will lock the transfer case allowing for better off-roading. when in AWD it unlocks the transfer case so if the from binds it will slip and not damage anything. the shift-on-demand is an AWD ram.... hope this helps

Old 11-07-2007, 02:22 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I was looking for! Why do they not clarify it as AWD and not "Shift on demand". Now I know what to look for in a new truck. I've got a 2008 brochure and our local dealer has found a couple of trucks matching the packages I want. Now I've got to refine that to only trucks with "shift on demand" and we'll be set.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:32 PM
cardude
Amateur

ORIGINAL: John M

That's what I was looking for! Why do they not clarify it as AWD and not "Shift on demand". Now I know what to look for in a new truck. I've got a 2008 brochure and our local dealer has found a couple of trucks matching the packages I want. Now I've got to refine that to only trucks with "shift on demand" and we'll be set.
okay stand back for a minut there, AWD is NOT the same as "Shift on demand", shift on demand only means that you can shift betwen 2wd and 4wd in speed, marking the fact that the 4wd is a centerdifferential locked situation (there is no center differential) the 4wd in the shift on demand system is ONLY for low traction situatuins, snow, gravel, mud ect. the only true awd dodge ram is the powerwagon, as far as i remember it also has lockers front and rear and center making it a TRUE 4wd vehical as recal it.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Hemiriden
Professional

ORIGINAL: cardude

okay stand back for a minut there, AWD is NOT the same as "Shift on demand", shift on demand only means that you can shift betwen 2wd and 4wd in speed, marking the fact that the 4wd is a centerdifferential locked situation (there is no center differential) the 4wd in the shift on demand system is ONLY for low traction situatuins, snow, gravel, mud ect. the only true awd dodge ram is the powerwagon, as far as i remember it also has lockers front and rear and center making it a TRUE 4wd vehical as recal it.
Again Wrong... the Shift-on-the-fly is so you can SHIFT AT SPEED....AKA ON THE FLY..... on demand is the AWD version of the ram... My father has a 2006 Shift on demand it has 2 positions... AWD and 4WD... THAT IS IT... there is NO 2wd option.... unless they made that specific for that ONE vehicle (which i highly doubt since he had nothing special ordered)....

Edit: Here is a conversation we had from the dodge talk forum: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109998

Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM
cardude
Amateur

ORIGINAL: Hemiriden

ORIGINAL: cardude

Again Wrong... the Shift-on-the-fly is so you can SHIFT AT SPEED....AKA ON THE FLY..... on demand is the AWD version of the ram... My father has a 2006 Shift on demand it has 2 positions... AWD and 4WD... THAT IS IT... there is NO 2wd option.... unless they made that specific for that ONE vehicle (which i highly doubt since he had nothing special ordered)....
hmm whell there, god i had you to correct me, i was obviosly wrong, on witch trucks then can you get the shift on demand transmission, i would like to get som prices (thinking about getting one)

Quick Reply: Do they still make an AWD Ram?