3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thoughts about quality.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 04:24 PM
ScottJ175
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts about quality.

As I've been reading a searching the site I've seen some griping about Dodge quality.

I must admit I'm a bit leery going back to a Chrysler product. The last one I owned was a 1985 LeBaron convertible and the ONLY redeeming feature it had was the drop top. Its favorite trick was to spit torque converter to flex plate bolts and strand me on a road trip.

But today a friend a co-worker had me drive his 2006 GMC 2WD Sierra Crew Cab to diagnose a clunk he's feeling from the front end. Felt to me like something loose in the steering linkage or steering column. He's going to the dealership to have them look at it (19,600 miles). This will be his 3rd warranty issue if I recall correctly (the other two were very minor).

I also had a co-worker at my last job with a Sierra and his fuel gauge would stick on a regular basis.

Someone I sing with has an Avalance and his gauge cluster went kaput back in October. He had to cough up almost $200 because he's out of warranty.

My wife's Audi has had all sorts of little issues fixed under warranty including a failed catalytic converter.

The 2001 Cobra I sold needed the rear cover on its differential resealed because it's a stressed part of the case and hard launching was flexing it. I never got around to it because you had to disassemble the whole rear suspension to drop the diff. It also needed an oil separator on the PCV because it produced so much vacuum it would pull oil into the intake.

The point is all vehicles have issues. So don't get too worked up about it and get into a bash fest about this or that manufacturer. Just share your symptoms, causes and solutions. It makes for better searches.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Thoughts about quality.

Scott, you hit the nail right on the head. Everybody has issues of one kind or another. I think the Hemi and the 4.7 engines are pretty much bulletproof, but if chrysler has an achilles heal, it's the automatic tranny.
My last Ford cracked a piston pulling my bass boat home from a tourney with under 15,000 miles on it.
I have hunting/fishing buddies with relatively new Fords that spend more time at the dealership than on the road, but they'd never think of owning anything else.
My two Chevy's (2000 Z71 P/U and 2002 Avalanche both with the 5.3 V8) used a quart of oil every 1500 miles and had front end issues. Funny that the dealership told me they never saw either problem when they could not fix the 2000 P/U only to see my Avalanche have the exact same issues.
I just bought a '02 Jeep Grand Cherokee with no heat, and understand ALL models built between '98 and '04 with dual climate control have the issue within the first 50k miles or so. A nice little $1500 repair bill that Chrysler has NEVER seen fit to recall.
The only thing you can do about it is do your research before you buy, weigh out the pluses and minuses and make a decision.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:58 PM
ScottJ175
Professional

IMO the achilles heel of any Chrysler product seems to be the tranny.

I wrecked the Audi back in 2004 and it had to go back to the body shop several times before they got it right. We got some variety of Mopar rental each time. The only one that didn't drip ATF on my garage floor was the Charger that was brand spaking new.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

truly IMO all auto trannies are purrty much garbage from the factory. they are built to handle barely waht the truck has to put out. It's a reason i'm running out of decent vehicles to buy. Because I refuse to own an automatic tranny. That's my opinion I'd rather deal with a blown clutch than a torque convertor or w/e else goes wrong in those abominations. but chrysler definately has the worst out of the bunch. although my ma had two ford explorers and now an escpae that have tranny issues.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:38 PM
ScottJ175
Professional

ORIGINAL: Ben D.
those abominations
I use the term slushbox

Sad thing is something like only 30% or less of the driving public currently knows how to drive a stick.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:53 PM
casper3380
Veteran

i have had three dodges overall
i had a 1996 NEON that was a good little car. Was a bit scary over 100 mph but got great mileage. Only issue was it needed its tranny tightened a bit for when going in to reverse (manual) After a mechanic(not the one that was supposed to work on it) had gotten finished, it went to crap, would put to a complete stop with the ac on and the clutch disengaged and in gear, never figured that one.
Had a 1997 Dodge Caravan. Had a body control module from day one plus the fan switches were bad from the factory. Did good on mileage and power, but the wiper turning on when ever was really annoying.
Now have my 2007 Ram 1500 QC 4x4. No problems to date.

I have had dodge, Ford, subaru, toyota and they all have their issues
My fords have always needed to be rekeyed. 4 to date. So no ones perfect. Like hammer said, research and weight the benefits to negatives and make a choice is all you can do m8.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:44 PM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dodge has been the best for me. I've owned Ford, GMC and even a AMC in the past and my Dodge(s) has been the best ever. They all had their problems, but Dodge shines. Red

Old 11-06-2007, 08:01 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

All true. My family had GM products starting in 1958 (Studebaker before that) and running through Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, Buicks and Chevrolets. The final nail in the GM coffin was an '88 1500 ext. cab long bed. If it was a plane, it would've been called a "hangar queen". More time in the shop in thirty months than my Toyota spent in over eleven years! My Ford F-150 never let me down as many times as the Chevy, but it was a thirsty SOB that ate alternators. First really reliable vehicle after that old Toyota was a Dodge van -- lasted 183K, 'til it needed a tranny. Might have gone longer, but I couldn't afford to keep it up like I should have. It was replaced by an '01 RCSB Ram 1500. Great truck, but not enough room (not its fault -- all I could afford after the van died). I see people buy a new truck of the same brand after the current one died while bleeding them dry. Not sure I understand that...is this a lottery where one day you'll get a good one? Sorry, I work too hard for my kibble to take that chance again. Been lucky (?) three times now with Dodge, and our 300C is doing great as well. Expect to retire the Chrysler in a couple of years and use it only on weekends. Wife wants a RAV4, and I want a MazdaSpeed3. The truck will become the workhorse when sumpin' needs haulin'. The Mazda will get me back and forth when gas is $5/gal. and the RAV will do the same for her.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Hemiriden
Professional

ORIGINAL: ScottJ175

ORIGINAL: Ben D.
those abominations
I use the term slushbox

Sad thing is something like only 30% or less of the driving public currently knows how to drive a stick.
Tis true.... most people don't.... I was talking to my friend the other day and i told him how i missed my clutch.... told him i want a 6sp manual in my new cummins.... he flat out told me (no lie) with an honesst and sincere face.... "Good luck, they haven't make standards since the 90's" I was like WTF..... bout B*tch slapped him because he was acting like one... he honestly though manuals had gone the way of VHS.... said if they did make them they were for poor people who couldn't aford an auto.... (this same person also couldn't believe vehicles come with manual role up windows and no electric locks...) The next thing that happened broke my faith in my circle of friends.... he being stubborn didn't believe me and called a couple of our friends.... the first 4 people... AGREED!!! they were argueing like mad that standards don't exsist in newer vehicles.... Granted these people are on the higher end of the financial scale.... but damn you'd think they could aford a real education that would make them aware of the real world.... I'm glad i have 2 sets of friends... all my redneck buddies knew better... LOL.... still so sad to think that people don't know how to drive a clutch vehicle..... I miss mine... they didn't offer the standard with the hemi... had to get the auto.... next one will be a stick... i'm sure of it!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:05 PM
manualagain
Professional

for '08's, Hemis can be had with the 6 speed manual in the 2500's, not 1500's. In the 1500's the manual is available with the 4.7L FF V8 and the V6. It will be interesting to see if the same availability will exist with the '09's and the reportedly slightly different engine lineup with the new 1500's. My '08 6 speed 4.7 is being built as I type, I'm not taking any chance of finding out the manuals really have disappeared from Dodge's 1500's.

Quick Reply: Thoughts about quality.