3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Posi or no Posi

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:52 PM
daytona1187
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posi or no Posi

I have a dodge ram daytona, I wanted to know a little more about my differential. Is it posi or not? If so is it electronic? When I first baught it both wheels spun on take off now only one does. Could you tell me what the problem is and how resolve it?

Old 11-08-2007, 05:08 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Posi or no Posi

if it is a LSD it deffinitly is NOT electronic...look on the inside of the glove box for a little stick and that will tell you (pretty sure the LSD is listed there if you have one..otherwise PM me the last 8 of ur VIN and I'll look it up) only way to solve it is to buy an aftermarket LSD or locker...alot of people here on the forum go with the Auburn LSD, a couple have gone with the Detroit TruTrac...do a search and you'll find quite a bit of info about it

Old 11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

When I first baught it both wheels spun on take off now only one does. Could you tell me what the problem is and how resolve it?
Traction units wear out over time (except spools) and need to be rebuilt. If yours has one but it has completely failed, the only way to know other than finding a sticker or having the VIN referenced will be to pull the cover and look.

Try just jacking it up and seeing if hte tires spin the same direction. If they do, then lower it on one side and see if you can spin the opposite tire. With a properly functioning posi, this should be nearly impossible for average human beings.

LSD's work differntly from posi's. They will allow one tire to spin until a certain amount of force is applied (speed), then the Limited slip does just that-it limits the slip by locking the axles together. They can be checked by jacking up the vehicle and forcefully spinning one tire. should engage the other axle pretty violently once you get it going fast enough.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:03 PM
bwhite757
All Star

ORIGINAL: hemiyellow
...look on the inside of the glove box for a little stick and that will tell you
I've seen a lot of guys post this, however there is no sticker on the inside of my glove box...

Old 11-08-2007, 07:15 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It will be stamped on the axle, and I doubt that if you have posi that it wore out, I've had trucks with LSD's in them up north, where it's used a lot in winter driving, not to mention off-roading and had them last 100,000 + miles and work as good as new. They "can" wear over time, but it takes a ton of use and a long time. You NEVER heard this before Detroit came out with the Tru-Trac as direct competition for the LSD market.
It's more likely that if you do indeed have a LSD rear end and it noticeably worked where it doesn't now, you can become a member of a huge club... where all the members have had their Chrysler LSD's fail.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:56 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

you can become a member of a huge club... where all the members have had their Chrysler LSD's fail.
not all the members have had their OEM LSD fail....mine never failed on me, no clip issues or nothing...just dumbass techs that f*** up lol

Old 11-08-2007, 08:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: hemiyellow

not all the members have had their OEM LSD fail....mine never failed on me, no clip issues or nothing...just dumbass techs that f*** up lol
I am not a member either, my 4x4 came with an open diff!, I can't believe they'd build a 4x4 with an open diff., but they did. Was not a big issue at the time, because I figured to get an Auburn eventually anyway. But now I look back and I'm so glad they built it without one!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:11 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

yeah my 02 ram 4x4 came with an open diff as well....had enough problems with that anyways...had to have side bearings replaced at 50K and they were startin to go out again at 87K when i traded it in on my 04 Ram i have now....the way gas prices are goin, that 2500 CTD at the dealership is lookin better and better lol and don't have many issues with the 10.5/11.5

Old 11-08-2007, 10:38 PM
dieseldoc1
Professional

what yr is ur truck? u may have aam axle.american axle and manufacturing. they make lsd and electronic locker for their own axle. the power wagons are factory electronic lockers frount and rear. http://www.aam.com/

Old 11-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

It will be stamped on the axle, and I doubt that if you have posi that it wore out, I've had trucks with LSD's in them up north, where it's used a lot in winter driving, not to mention off-roading and had them last 100,000 + miles and work as good as new. They "can" wear over time, but it takes a ton of use and a long time. You NEVER heard this before Detroit came out with the Tru-Trac as direct competition for the LSD market.
Limited slip and Posi are about as much alike as automatic 4x4 vs. full time AWD. One is working all the time, the other only when needed. Limited slips don't wear out; they fail. But posi's use spring washers and clutches, and they do wear out over time. Those clutches are slipping every time you turn, and like any other friction material, they wear.

Quick Reply: Posi or no Posi