3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gas Price

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007 | 03:23 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: Gas Price

ORIGINAL: motorider228

A prius gets better mileage than twice what we do, last I checked it's actually better than 3 times what we get. I can deal with $3.00 gas, when it gets much higher than that is when I will start looking into alternative methods of transportation......may be getting a bike.
I've been debating getting a bike... i really want one but i dont know if i can affoard it and if i no me and i do... that bike could give me a heck of an adreniline rush!! which means i wouldnt realize much more than lets go faster and get thrilled! so uh.. how long would that last,,,

Old 11-09-2007 | 03:37 PM
JayH2112
Veteran

When I fill up I pretty much ignore the price, it not like thinking about it will make it go down. I drive a car that gets about 30mpg for computing etc, and I use my truck for what a truck is for, off-roading, hunting, hauling and when I want to hear that V8 rumble.

Old 11-09-2007 | 03:41 PM
ScottJ175
Professional

My solution to a gas price crunch will be to get the little red 4 banger back on the road. It gets 22 MPG:

I also might get motivated to try to rebuild the Bug.

Old 11-09-2007 | 03:50 PM
Hellbilly1
Veteran

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

ORIGINAL: Hellbilly1

they say here in Iowa where gas is not as high as other places is gonna be up over 4 bucks at the first of the year and I have to say that if that happens I am thinkin bye bye truck. which I hate to say since I love it so much
that sux!!!

The prices do suck to but i dont really have a choice... i need my truck... i use it for work, hunting, towing, and all kinds of stuff..... so heck.. i pay and try to ignore!

oh i sure use my truck for hunting and all that good stuff as I work on a farm i cant get away without having one but the thing is the $600 payment plus you know 400 bucks a month for gas so ill have to get something different

Old 11-09-2007 | 03:56 PM
bwhite757
All Star

I got rid of my bike about 6 months ago (00 Ducati 900 Super Sport). The 30 mpg were great, however I'm lucky to never got a speeding ticket on it. I got rid of it when a deer ran out in front of me, I missed the deer barely, ran off the road into a field and somehow managed to keep the bike upright. I know those are the risks you take with having a bike, however I decided if I'm going to hit a deer, or another vehicle for that matter, it's going to be in the truck.

Now back to gas. Yeah, it sucks, however I realized that complaining doesn't help the fact. With my job it's even worse as I have to factor gas into job prices. When I'm contracted to a job 700 miles away, and I add a $350 fuel surcharge to my invoice, it sometimes upsets clients, but hey, I'm not dipping into my profits just b/c of gas going up. I factor in hotel expense into my quote, but I have to list fuel seperate otherwise 9 times out of 10 I won't get the job.

Old 11-09-2007 | 04:06 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

they say here in Iowa where gas is not as high as other places is gonna be up over 4 bucks at the first of the year and I have to say that if that happens I am thinkin bye bye truck. which I hate to say since I love it so much
that sux!!!

The prices do suck to but i dont really have a choice... i need my truck... i use it for work, hunting, towing, and all kinds of stuff..... so heck.. i pay and try to ignore!

oh i sure use my truck for hunting and all that good stuff as I work on a farm i cant get away without having one but the thing is the $600 payment plus you know 400 bucks a month for gas so ill have to get something different
600 dollar payment!! wtf!!! have you heard of a down payment!!! that is a huge payment!! i see where you are comin from now!!

Old 11-09-2007 | 04:08 PM
bwhite757
All Star

lol, I'm paying 1200 a month!!! But then again, it's only a 24 month loan..

Old 11-09-2007 | 04:12 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: bwhite757

I got rid of my bike about 6 months ago (00 Ducati 900 Super Sport). The 30 mpg were great, however I'm lucky to never got a speeding ticket on it. I got rid of it when a deer ran out in front of me, I missed the deer barely, ran off the road into a field and somehow managed to keep the bike upright. I know those are the risks you take with having a bike, however I decided if I'm going to hit a deer, or another vehicle for that matter, it's going to be in the truck.

Now back to gas. Yeah, it sucks, however I realized that complaining doesn't help the fact. With my job it's even worse as I have to factor gas into job prices. When I'm contracted to a job 700 miles away, and I add a $350 fuel surcharge to my invoice, it sometimes upsets clients, but hey, I'm not dipping into my profits just b/c of gas going up. I factor in hotel expense into my quote, but I have to list fuel seperate otherwise 9 times out of 10 I won't get the job.
have you ever had one of those dumb customers say "your makin me pay for your gas!" i just kinda think to myself... are they serious... im using the gas to get supplies to YOUR house and do YOUR project... some people arent to bright lol

Old 11-09-2007 | 04:22 PM
bwhite757
All Star

Well, actually with what I do, the price for my services and equipment may look something like

However if I up everything a little to include gas prices, 7850, They'll be like, whoa, that's too high, I'm going to get someone else to do it, but list fuel seperate, and it seems to go over a little better...

But yeah, I turned in gas receipts and logged miles for reimbursment to one of the bigger companies I'm under contract with and they got upset, even though fuel was covered in the contract. They tried every which way to get out of that, even ran it by their legal team. I went a year before I turned everything into them, so the total was a little hefty, but still..

Old 11-09-2007 | 04:43 PM
SWOS Chief
Veteran

Ok, editor delete this if you choose, they had their opinion, here's mine.

Quit sniveling about the goverment setting gas prices, shut your yap about how we can spend money on war but not to lower your gas guzzling vehicle's refill price. You knew the mileage sucked when you bought it, are you truly dumb enough to believe the price of gas was going back to what it was years ago when you could fill almost anything for like 30 bucks? Oh, that's right, it is all a goverment conspiracy against those do the voting, not just the president but congress and the senate, and the governors (that have direct input on the state tax added to your gas), and any other politician. I fogot to mention that 9/11 is a goverment conspiracy too and about a thousand other things that people need to place blame on someone for.
Get real people. I have seen about 100 emails for the whole "if everyone doesn't buy gas on this certain day it will make the companies lower prices", of course this doesn't work because it could never be organized, and do really think not filling up on one day would hurt the GAS companies? Besides, we as Americans won't get off our asses and walk to work as a whole, let alone walk everywhere for one day.
I guess what I am saying is, take your conspiracy theories and comments about spending money on war and shove them. I would spend your entire months wages, that probably go to the local fast food resteraunt (that constantly is raising prices and you are not complaining about) and also go to fueling our gas pigs to ensure that one Soldier, Sailor, Marine or Airman has an extra piece of equipment to make them an iota safer in a campaign(note that what we are doing for OIF and OEF is not a war) trying to free another country and ultimately making you and I safer sleeping at night.
Have issues with gas prices?..... park your vehicle, buy a bike, or walk your ***. Stop blaming the goverment for your decision to buy a gas guzzler, there is no law making you do it, unless of course this is another one of someone's stupid lame *** conspiracy theories that fits in with the others stated above.

Respectfully,
GMC (SW) Scott Minary

Forgot to add, I hate the cost of gas too, but I place the blame of the price increase on no other than the oil companies themselves, they charge it, someone has to buy it, guess that's me.

Quick Reply: Gas Price