3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please Help Me Disable These!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 AM
The_Hun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help Me Disable These!!!!!

Hi guys, I need help, My dad just got a HID headlight kit for his car. However, we have been told that we have to disable the daytime running lights on his truck (2005 Dodge Ram 1500). We live in Canada and ours vehicles come with the DRL's. However, I do not want to just remove the fuse because then his fog lights will not work. Does anyone know hwo to disable them? ground a certain wire out or something? any help would be appreciated. We also would prefer not to have any dash lights come up. We have phone all the dealerships but they refuse to take them off.
Thanks

Old 11-12-2007, 12:01 PM
kregier
Veteran
Default RE: Please Help Me Disable These!!!!!

You might want to check the local laws first. Here in Manitoba any vehicle made in '89 and newer has to have daytime running lights. You'll get a pretty little ticket if you don't or they're not working.

Here's a little excerpt from our Highway Traffic act.

Every motor vehicle manufactured on or after December1,1989, other than a motorcycle or moped, shall carry daytime running lights that comply with the standards prescribed for such lights by the regulations made under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada)

And I just found this of the Transport Canada site.

(44) Every bus, multi-purpose passenger vehicle, passenger car, three-wheeled vehicle and truck shall be equipped with two daytime running lamps or, where the daytime running lamps are optically combined with the upper beams of the headlamps, with two or four daytime running lamps.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:03 PM
The_Hun

Hi, I am well aware its illegal to no thave DRL's, however that is the only way the HID's will work. I was just thinking of using them in the day or my foglights during the day anyway. Any ideas would be awesome

Old 11-12-2007, 02:32 PM
kregier
Veteran

Well, knowing that, from what I recall reading on this board, it's programmed into the PCM, so it's the dealers that have to do this for you.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:44 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

Why can't you run your own power wires from the battery/fuse block to a switch to run your HID's? I have 3 sets of aux lights that i have running from the fuse panel to a seperate set of switches that control the lights independently... I feel if you isolate the HID set up that you'd have no problem... Dont' know why the DRL would have anything to do with a seperate source of lighting...

Old 11-12-2007, 03:03 PM
toxdoc
Veteran

Just locate the hot side 12 volt feeder wire(s) to your DRL's and splice in a single pole toggle switch to control the on/off power to the lights - be sure to use an inline fuse as well.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:12 PM
mcbang

Hello.
You need to let the dealer change country code in the pcm/ecm. it is done in a couple of minutes. The country code in your pcm are set to canada ore europe. Change it to USA and the daytime running lights are gone.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:33 PM
The_Hun

Like I stated earlier, all the dealers here refuse to alter the pcm region coding. Also, this HID kit plugs into the factory harness to work properly, so i dont think hooking it up on a seperate power source would be to great, not to mention the computer will still want to send power to the DRLS. On my cavalier, all i had to do was splice into a wire under my steering wheel, attatch that to ground, and ppof they were gone, with no side effects (dash lights) i was hoping someone here knew a trick like that.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:54 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

Well... if what you want to do it illegal.. then maybe you should'nt do this... If you can understand basic electricity... dont' bother with the factory harness... just do it the old fashioned way.. do a lead from the battery and do an inline fuse... that way the Royal Canadian Mounties won't bother you.... it may take a little more effort on your part... But askin a dealer to break the law is just askin for trouble.... and How in the world can you say that having a seperate power source would not be great??? i don't get it... give the lights power... reagardless of the means.. and they will light... The lights are not going to care whether they have the factory harness or not... they are'nt gonna care what color the wire is... as long as the voltage is right... they will light... and that's it...

Quick Reply: Please Help Me Disable These!!!!!