3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering wheel stereo control

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:53 PM
MoparRob
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Steering wheel stereo control

Does any1 know if any aftermarket stereos will work with the steering wheel controls, I never thought about it before...

Old 11-18-2007, 04:09 PM
RedHemi07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check crutchfield.com I believe some have an adapter you can get so the stereo works with steering wheel controls.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:15 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its easy as hell, the hardest part is if you have to change out the clockspring. I did this to my wife's Liberty because she was jealous that mine came with and hers didn't. If you don't change the backside of the wheel then you have to cut out the factory flats. This will help you with the basics (Mopars are pretty much similiar across the board to a point) http://www.wjjeeps.com/steering_sw.htm and http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26115
I used these to do the Liberty, plus I poked around inside my own steering wheel to see. eBay can be your friend in this endeavor, the most expensive piece I got was the clockspring, and that was like $70 (normally a $100+ piece). DEFINITELY download a copy of the FSM for your year truck.
The nice thing is that the radio controls are the same for all the similiar year vehicles. Steering wheel (if necessary) and clockspring will be platform specific. A little leg work in junkyards or parts locators should get what you need, anything 02 and later you should be good. One word of advice, if you have to change the clockspring, get a new one, this controls your airbag, you do not wanna mess around with it. Be happy to help you with pics or anything.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel stereo control