3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What Exhaust for 2007 MDS Hemi did you find worked the best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 09:31 AM
smaerd58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Exhaust for 2007 MDS Hemi did you find worked the best?

I have waded through what seems to be endless pages of exhaust questions and have noticed that all exhaust questions were intermingled together with MDS systems. I thought I would start a thread for MDS Hemi only to help me as well as others to find a good combination for them.
Let me start off by telling you what I learned. I finally went to the exhaust shop the other day after reading up on my MDS Hemi over the year. I thought I had a good idea of what I wanted and a good felling about it. I talked with the mechanic there and everything was going fine until I told him I had the Hemi with MDS. First off for those who don’t know what MDS is it is called a Multi displacement System and what that means is at higher cruising speeds it drops off 4 cylinders to save on gas. Correct me guys if I am wrong….

Well the Mechanic said he hasn’t found a combination that people seem to like. In-fact he said that people come back after install at there own cost again and reinstall factory set-up because when the MDS kicks in it sounds like a lawnmower. He also said he did a job for the local Dodge dealer on a new truck and the customer was livid and Dodge had to replace it with factory again. That left me deflated and I left so once again went to the forums looking and my eyes are shot so I figure I would start this thread for us.

I am looking to run my exhaust 2 pipes out the passenger’s side past the quad cab doors. Has anyone found a nice sounding combo for this? Sound clips and pics would be appreciated.Thanks, Rick

I have Attached a picture of the exhaust layout on 2007 rams like mine....

[IMG]local://upfiles/60511/7E65C9E050E8433DB14FFBF994423F92.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-18-2007, 11:06 AM
slapshot12
Professional
Default RE: What Exhaust for 2007 MDS Hemi did you find worked the best?

I am interested in feedback on this one too. I want a new exhaust, but I just want a better sound, not real loud. But, I don't want any type of interior drone which seems to plague most of the systems and MDS. Overall, I hate the MDS system. I don't know that it would have kept me from buying, but that is one of my few complaints with the Hemi. I wish it were an option and not take it or leave it. Almost all of my driving is around town and is in the 30 - 55 mph range, so the MDS is always on and off.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

At the top of the 3rd Gen forum (above the thick black line) is a thread with all the info you seek. Evensome set ups like you arethinking of.

MDS can kick in crusing around a parking lot at low speeds if ya wants it too. Love the MDS, Master it you should.

Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

It is all up to you and the dollars you want to invest.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:59 AM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

My exhaust is mostly stock.... dropped the stock muffler and did a single in and single out MagnaFlow and it sounds good... not too loud.. not quiet... you can hear the MDS engage.... But i like lound music so it does'nt bother me too much.... and if it's bothering you... put in into tow/haul and it'll solve your problems.... But research it and see what others have done..... maybe what i did is'nt your cup of tea....

Old 11-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a flowmaster in my 2007. Sounds great and not bad on the wallet.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:18 PM
smaerd58

The thread that you are talking about is mixed with older engines that are 4.7 and Hemi non MDS. That is why I wanted to start a thread on just Hemi MDS Set-Ups.... I myself would like to see some pics and videos of some side out Set-Ups,Thanks

Old 11-18-2007, 05:43 PM
kalrod23

I have a 2007 QC with the 5.7L and MDS. I went with a Magnaflow cat-back system - 16701. It is the system that dumps in front of the rear tire. Here is what I can tell you;

Does it drive me nuts when MDS kicks in - it used to. If you drive the highway at 75MPH or greater it will be a non issue since you will be putting to much load on the egine for MDS to kick in. I drive at 65 on the highway and the system does kick in and out abit. But, I am used to it after about a month or so. The transition really doesnt bother me anymore. I am more annoyed by the slight surge when it drops out of MDS, but it did this with the stock exhaust anyway. It is very slight, less then 0.05G's.

Does it drive other people nuts in my truck - Nope. My wife drove it around for a few days and never even noticed it. She drives the highway at 80 however.

What about in the City - If you drive alot in the city you will notice it, no question. However, I only drive 16 city miles a day and 60 highway miles so the tradeoff is well worth it. In the city I used to put it into tow/haul mode to disable the MDS, but I dont even care any more.

Can you train yourself to master MDS - Without a doubt. Give your self a week and in the city you will be able to tune your fit to allow MDS to come in when you want it in.

Hope this helps.

JD

Old 11-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: smaerd58

The thread that you are talking about is mixed with older engines that are 4.7 and Hemi non MDS. That is why I wanted to start a thread on just Hemi MDS Set-Ups.... I myself would like to see some pics and videos of some side out Set-Ups,Thanks
Then admit it, you really didn't read it did you?

LoL

My post is on Page 1 of that thread and I know of a bunch more MDS guys who posted in there. Some with side outs.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:32 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't have MDS, don't want it, don't care what gas costs and how much better mileage it gives you. Has nothing to do with the exhaust drone,I just want my 8 cylinders, all the time, thank you very much. I'll replace my '04 with a CTD or 2500 to not have it, when the time comes.Now if I hada 4x2 and it was my daily driver, maybe it would not be bad. In a family type daily driver SUV, like the Durango or Grand Cherokee, I would probably opt for it.
OK, now that I've unnecessarily spoken my piece: Since I added a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7HO 4x4 to the stable (as a daily driver no less, so you can see I don't care what gas costs), I've been on the Jeep forums a lot, too. Seems the guys with the MDS Hemi GC's are having the same issue with exhausts. The consensus there, is that you need to keep your resonator and then add a resonated exhaust, such as a Aero 3030. People are claiming better performance, slight mpg gains and a very close to stock sound, without the drone associated with most aftermarket, free flowing exhausts coupled with MDS.
So don't cut everything out from the cat back, keep the stock resonator and get a resonated muffler. Must cancel out the sounds most hate. Might be worth a try for you guys...

Old 11-19-2007, 02:51 AM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

50 Series Flowmaster HD Single In / Dual out here. MDS is a pain, I ride around town with O/D off to kill the MDS, but once I'm over 55 the MDS isn't noticable. I can hear it kick in, but that's about it. Personally, if you're worried about how the MDS is going to effect you, stick with the Stock Exhaust, the exhaust on your truck was made with MDS in mind, and that's the only exhaust where you're not going to have an issue with it.

As for the above statement, the MDS is a good thing in my opinion. Yep, you paid for an 8 cylinder, and all 8 cylinders are there when you NEED them, however when you don't why not save a little gas?? I just don't see where the MDS is bad except for the area of aftermarket exhaust. The system was tested well over the life expectancy I plan to see on my motor, and it works flawlessly from my limited experience. It's a great asset to the truck. However if you were like me, the salesman never told me about the system, and I didn't even know it was on the truck until I started looking for opinions on exhaust. If you want a Hemi 1500, it's just something you have to either deal with, except, or love. Personally, I LOVE everything about my truck, including the MDS, even though it drones ever so bad in the cab between 40-50 mph...

Quick Reply: What Exhaust for 2007 MDS Hemi did you find worked the best?