3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

sound systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007 | 03:01 PM
socomkid97
|
Default sound systems

Hey guys, i have a 03 dodge 1500 quad cab. I want to get speakers, subs, and an amp but i dont want to go all out. But i had some questions. If i got 4 inifity speakers, 2 6" by 9" and 2 5-1/4, and say 2 12" insignia subs and 600w bridgable amp, would the bass be too loud to hear the speakers? Or it would sound pretty decent? And, would any sub fit under the back row of seats if it had a custom box? And also, would the infinity speakers be compaitable with the sub and amp? Would i have to get a new stero for the dash, or the factory one will do? Please help, thanks

Old 11-23-2007 | 03:22 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: sound systems

the bass wouldnt be "too loud for the speakers" unless you tuned it that way... almost all components are adjustable...

Old 11-23-2007 | 03:26 PM
socomkid97
|

ok good, thanks. Can you answer any of the other questions that i had?

Old 11-23-2007 | 03:31 PM
spud11
Veteran

You shouldn't have to change the head unit, but on the other hand, changing it makes the enitire system louder, even if it is just stock. You don't even have to go with an expensive one, I have one of the lower end Dual head units and it made a remarkable difference.

Old 11-23-2007 | 03:35 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

yea the headunit doesnt have to be changed but it wouldnt hurt by all means.... also another thing i always liked power acoustiks subs... not very well known but they are a great price and sound amazing!

check out www.crutchfield.com its a great site for this kinda stuff plus the staff is great to work with and will answer any question no matter how hard!

Old 11-23-2007 | 03:36 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

I am not sure what others have been able to achieve in cu ft of box space but most 12 inch subs require alot of room that might be difficult to do with the amount of space you have. I know there are subs out there designed for smaller boxes and also shallow mounting. 2 12s are gonna pound in that truck if done right, you said you didnt want to go all out my suggestion would be to get 10s, more choices on box size and mounting depth. On theother question any speakers are compatable with amps (providing the ohm rating will work.) And when you ask that are talking about running your component speakers on your same amp as the subs? Is it a multi channel amp? You dont necessarily need another amp for the components, but do get everything out of your aftermarket speakers you should have them powered by an amp. Your stock stereo will work fine with your amp just depending on how you want to get the signal to your amp rca etc.... But a decentaftermarket head unit can make all the difference,WWAAYY more adjustments, and will be able topush more power to the component speakers...

Old 11-23-2007 | 03:46 PM
socomkid97
|

so then if i got 2 10" subs, they would be easier to fit under the backseat? and i'm not sure what you meant about the amp and the speakers. Would the amp have to be a dual channel amp for it to have the speakers and the subs running off of it?

Old 11-23-2007 | 04:07 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

ORIGINAL: socomkid97

so then if i got 2 10" subs, they would be easier to fit under the backseat? and i'm not sure what you meant about the amp and the speakers. Would the amp have to be a dual channel amp for it to have the speakers and the subs running off of it?
Yeah you would have a much easier time getting a box with enough space for 10s opposed to 12's and getting them to fit under the seat with ease. About having ALL your speakers hooked up to one channel of the amp, you would not want to do this, first you would lose the stereo sound, if your amp was a single channel. And you would never be able to adjust your system well. Your amp adjustments would either be for your subs or your mids or tweets etc. IMO you should one amp to run your two subs on. Get an aftermarket head unit to run your aftermarket speakers ( no second amp). This will be a very simple way to go and give you the most adjustments to get the sound the way you like it. just my .02

Old 11-23-2007 | 04:19 PM
MoparRob
Veteran
Old 11-26-2007 | 12:29 AM
walsh465

i had infinity speakers and 2 12" subs in my old car and sometimes u couldnt hear the words at all but thats cause i tuned the subs as loud as they could go, and i had songs from my ipod playing so they dont have as good of quality from cds. im looking for infinity speakers and 2 12" subs in my truck also and i found this box http://musicmooseaudio.com/dodge_qua...truck_d03.html. and i asked a pro installer about boxes and he suggested to get a wood box instead of a plastic one like the mtx thunderfoamsare cause the plastic ones tend to rattle. but since u have to remove the factory stereo anyway to plug everything in u might as well get a aftermarket head unit. even the cheap ones make a dif. in sound compared to factory ones. but rem. depending on what amp u get u can get the 2-12 inch subs and tune em to not hit as hard and tune em again if u want em louder, alsoim not sure if 600 watts is enough to power 2 12 inch subs and 4 speakers, i have a 800 watt 4 channel from kenwood to power the subs and a 400 watt one just for the speakers

[/align]

Quick Reply: sound systems