3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Step Rail Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Kebo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Step Rail Question

Ok, so I got some of my Xmas money this weekend and the first addition to the truck will be step rails for the wife and kids. My question is are the ones on Ebay worth the money? I mean they are around $100 cheaper than name brands like Westin, but has anyone bought anyone of these and how are they holding up. Thanks

Old 11-25-2007, 07:38 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Step Rail Question

Mine are westin knock offs from eBay. I think I paid $155 shipped. the installation directions weren't very clear, however I found a video on YouTube, and a little help here, to get me through the installation. So far, I'm very happy with them. The wife had a hard time getting in and out of the truck, and she loves them. Now as far as how they'll hold up over time, only time will tell, but for now they're good for me... I'm on the wrong computer, otherwise I'd put up a pic of mine...

Old 11-25-2007, 08:01 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

you always get what you pay for....

Old 11-25-2007, 08:33 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HuntinHanson

you always get what you pay for....
+1 here too

You have to look at the materials used, diameter of the tube and the guage of the steel. Obviously a metal shop company can makes these for next to nothing if they use a cheaper steel. The cheap ones will be great at first, but you get what you pay for as you will probably start to see alot of rust and possibly bending from the season changes...

Old 11-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not buy the cheap ones that mount to the cab mounting bolts. They ask you to take out the cab mounting bolts and send you longer ones to mount the bar with. They will loosen after awhile and you will have squeaks. Get the kind that mount to the underside of the side sill. There are pre-drilled holes that are covered with black tape.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Kebo
Professional

Thanks guys for all of the input......after careful consideration, I bought the Westin bars. I even bought them local. Hell it was the same price after I paid shipping on from Ebay. Hope these bad boys last a while.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:44 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service

Do not buy the cheap ones that mount to the cab mounting bolts. They ask you to take out the cab mounting bolts and send you longer ones to mount the bar with. They will loosen after awhile and you will have squeaks. Get the kind that mount to the underside of the side sill. There are pre-drilled holes that are covered with black tape.
Well... just because they bolt to the cab mounts does'nt mean they are not as good.... I installed a set of Westin Platnum Series step bars on my 05 Ram... they were on that truck for a little over 2 years.. no problems... and now that same exact pair are installed on my 07 without any problems.... still very strudy... But at the same time i'm not saying that there were never problems with that style... just that you can be problem free with it...

Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Kebo
Professional

Well I got the bars put on tonight. They look great from what I can tell in the dark. It was a beeotch though. The directions leave a lot to be desired.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kebo

Thanks guys for all of the input......after careful consideration, I bought the Westin bars. I even bought them local. Hell it was the same price after I paid shipping on from Ebay. Hope these bad boys last a while.
Good move, I've hadfive setsof nerf bars on various trucks through the years, 3 Westin's and 2 different brands. Never had a single issue with any of the Westins (2 black, 1 chrome). Had issues with BOTH of the others. From paint chipping off and lost step pads on a black set to really bad pitting on a chrome set...

Old 11-28-2007, 07:52 PM
TANKZ400
All Star

Get the electric jobs

Quick Reply: Step Rail Question