3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just got rear ended by a drunk guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:35 PM
braaap11889
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just got rear ended by a drunk guy

reall
ORIGINAL: Dire Wolf

Quick update:
Its been going really well since the accident. Allstate took total liability and has done an estimate for just over $3000, now I can bring her anywhere to get her fixed I just have to do some research to find a good shop around here. I didnt notice this until today when I was at the adjuster but he hit me so hard that it knocked my bed into the cab and put a dent in the cab, also the bed isnt lined up right the left side is about 1/2" closer to the cab. I will post pics of before and after when she gets fixed.
Um the bed is closer on one side than the other?

Dude you got frame damage and the damage is more than 3 grand if you have frame damage. good luck finding a good place they are few and far.

Get a reqoute from a few shops.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:42 PM
vwomein
Professional

WOW! I am surprised your truck took such little damage. His car is F'd up.
I'm not surprised about his damage.......a pick-up will do that to a car anytime.
Glad you're ok. Looks like just a rear bumper & rear exhaust damage.

Drunk driverssuck! Too bad they don't just take themselves out.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Dire Wolf
Professional

UPDATE:
Well I finnaly got it into a Bodyshop, I waited for this shop to take it because it is a very good shop.
It is the official bodyshop for Mercedes and Infiniti of Columbus. Anyways, they called me today and told me that yesterday they did some partial teardown and measuring. Turns out I need a new trailerhitch and the frame is 1/2" to 5/8" higher on the pass. side, is this bad or could it be straighten back out fine?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:27 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

Not sure if its true, but someone (cant remember at the moment) said that the 1500 frames were like "hydro-formed" or something to that effect and once they are bent there bent. I have got no idea if this is true and I figured you can almost always bend steel back to atleast close to original.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:59 AM
djr04
All Star

I would think the shop should be able to fix it (if the hydroforming isn't an issue); just make sure they pass this info to the insurance adjuster. It would really suck if after the repairs the bill came out higher than what they quoted you at. [/align]

Old 12-20-2007, 05:08 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep the frames on a 1500 are hydro formed.
I don't know if they can be straightend however???
I'm glad you walked away with this. Trucks and cars are only bits of tin and your health is paramount compared to that!

I'm an advanced Technican over here in the UK and I, like some of my colleagues on the board here in the US, are sick to the back teeth of these drunk drivers!!!
One reply here says, to hit them in the pocket by claiming more injuries etc.
That's all well and good, but the rest of us guys premiums go up, as the costs are only passed on to the rest of us responsible drivers.
We need to really hit these drunks and give them some HARD TIME!!!
I know that's harsh but hey, it's like putting a loaded gun in someones hands and off they go killing people. Drink driving is the same!
We can't let them get away this easy!
Some of the heart breaking stuff I have personally whitnessed, when someones poor family turns up at the resus room in A&E...........Well.............I don't need to say more.
Drunks at the wheel of a car, need to be hit and hit HARD!
Put them away for a long time and let them reflect on what they've done.
WOW, Ssorry about the rant but there really isn't any excuse!
On your settelment, make sure that any injury takes into account that over time when your 50ish, your neck will give you grief!
I speak from experience and my neck pain is a direct rtesult from a rear end bash a number of years ago which really I thought didn't hurt that bad at the time.
My settlement does not reflect how I feel now???
Anyhow, glad your ok and have a great Christmas, in the knowledge that your still with us and only your truck and pride, is dented.
A lot of people can't do that???
Al.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:27 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Just got rear ended by a drunk motherfu$#@....

cant believe he was going to leave the scene with his car like that , it prob could blow up, good to hear ya ight

Old 12-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Dire Wolf
Professional

ORIGINAL: djr04

I would think the shop should be able to fix it (if the hydroforming isn't an issue); just make sure they pass this info to the insurance adjuster. It would really suck if after the repairs the bill came out higher than what they quoted you at. [/align]
They have been keeping in touch with me. One thing he said is they wont touch anything until approved my an adjuster.

Quick Reply: Just got rear ended by a drunk guy