3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cai for an 07 hemi

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007 | 10:12 AM
HEMI07
|
Veteran
Default cai for an 07 hemi

I want to put a cold air intake on my truck. The truck feels like it lost some power off the the jump when i had my dual exhaust put on. Im hoping the cai will give it back what it lost. Is there any out there that are better than others? I like the Volant intake.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-28-2007 | 10:31 AM
chongo
Veteran
Default RE: cai for an 07 hemi

Opinions on CAI are like ******** - everybody has one - True Flow is a fan favorite it seems - I will be installinga True Flow XDI Intake this weekend- and will be posting photos of the install and my thoughts on the intake when I get it all in. Use the search function and you will come up with numerous posts on CAI - just go through and read them and decide what you want and what your pocket book will allow.

Good luck

Old 11-28-2007 | 12:05 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

yea do a search everyone has an opinion... in my searches on multiple forums i went with true flow and couldnt be happier....

Old 11-28-2007 | 01:15 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

The differences from one CAI to another is usually very minimal. There is no "magic" CAI that is just heads above the rest. However, the gains of ANY CAI are substantially better than your stock intake. So, if you go with a solid name brand unit, you really can't go wrong.

Now let's talk about your hole shot loss after installing your cat back exhaust.
If your "butt dyno" is correct and you lost some low end power, one of two things must have happened. Either A) The cat back system and/or muffler you chose is really a piece of **** or somebody screwed up the install and caused more restriction than your stock setup. Or B) Your cat back has really done it's job well and the increase in air flow has caused you to lose low end torque due to the fact that you are so efficient that you lost backflow.
If "A" is the case, you will also feel a power loss throughout the entire RPM band. If "B" is the case you will have sacrificed the low end torque for mid and high end HP gains.
I have a case of "B" since I REALLY opened things up by doing a cat back, CAI and Long Tube Headers. I do feel a slight loss of low end torque, but really feel substantial mid and high gains. I intend to install a custom ground cam to get me the torque I lost plus a whole bunch more.
If this is indeed what has happened to you, then I fear the addition of a CAI will increase flow and reduce even more backpressure. Great for higher end gains, bad for low end torque.
I am by no means telling you not to get a CAI, your mid & high end will be better and you should see good MPG gains as well. I just don't want you to be shocked if you find you lose even a bit more power off the jump...

Old 11-28-2007 | 02:59 PM
HEMI07
|
Veteran

HammerZ71...i would have to go with option B!
I went to a very reputable performance exhaust shop that does nothing but performance exhaust and justabout everyone that works there has a ram with a HEMI.They put on a magnaflow mufflerand bent the tailpipes out of 3in pipe with 4in polished tips that exit on an angle behind each rear wheel. I would have to say that the work they did definetly increased the air flow.

Old 11-28-2007 | 11:29 PM
HEMI07
|
Veteran

ok, i looked at the true flow intakes. which version is the better one?the sealed one that leaves the stock airbox or the other version that replaces everything? and give me the reasons...thanks

Old 11-28-2007 | 11:35 PM
1 Big B
Professional

Just my thoughts. Take them for what they are. I would go with the true flow XDI. Just my personal choice.
B

Quick Reply: cai for an 07 hemi