3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 02:38 AM
prerunner
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods

Ok, so far i've replaced the exhaust and the airfilter. Replacing the intake tube in a couple days. Next is probably gonna be the TB.

2 questions,

first,

I've seen posts about a 180 thermo. What is it for and what does it do?

second,

Has anyone tried cutting out a bigger hole in there airbox to allow more air in? There is a mod for the Toyota Tacomas where you drill out a 4" hole into the airbox allowing more air in. However, i don't see enough room on the Dodge airbox to do this. So i was wondering if anyone has tried something simular?????

Thanks

Old 11-23-2004, 02:51 PM
usmcsrtsniper1
Amateur
Default RE: Mods

I was thinking the EXACT SAME thing... There seems to plenty of room once you pull out the little air snorkel that sticks towards the front. You know, pull out a dremel/ hacksaw and go to town!!

I showed my dad what I was talking about (he had many hotrods in his time) and he told me "sure, you can do that - but the more air your sensors pick up, the more fuel you will burn as well." This might equate to some more horsies, but I'm already only getting 14.1 MPG. I would not like the trade off of 1-2 MPG's for a 5 HP tops modification.

Has anyone actually tried this - and what differences did it make in MPG's as well as HP?

Old 11-25-2004, 04:00 PM
prerunner
Captain

Well i installed the intake tube last night and drilled two 3 5/8" holes on the bottom of the airbox. Noticed a decent pickup in the take off so far. And my exhaust is louder

Old 11-25-2004, 11:49 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the 4" hole mod to the airbox. I made it a true CAI by running hard duct to the lower rad. support. Noticed a difference in the power.

Old 11-30-2004, 04:05 PM
usmcsrtsniper1
Amateur

Hey guys,
Notice any change in MPG's? I would imagine "more air=more horses" but was there any drop in MPG? I'm ready to do the surgury but concerned about fuel consumption...

Old 11-30-2004, 04:08 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No net change in the fuel economy.

Old 11-30-2004, 05:14 PM
prerunner
Captain

Noticed a little.

Better jump off the start.
Was averaging 15mpg...Now at about 16.5mpg.
Better acceleration throughout.

The above was with a K&N drop in filter, AirRaid intake tube, and 2-3 5/8" holes on the bottom of the air box.

Old 11-30-2004, 06:51 PM
usmcsrtsniper1
Amateur

SWWWEEET! Thanks for the tips!!

Old 12-12-2004, 12:23 PM
mill500
Veteran

I wouldn't do the stat change without being able to reprogram the computer. I did it on my Chev 454 (motorhome) thinking it would help to run cooler. Found out that until it hits the OE 195 the computer never goes into closed loop mode, and thinks it's still warming up and runs a richer mixture.

It ended up plugging an O2 sensor and flunking an emissions test. Changed the sensor and stat and passed with no prob. I haven't tried it on the hemi, but would have to believe it'll be the same deal. There are some guys out there who can reprogram the computer (not the dealers...they can't mess with emissions settings) to, among other things, go into closed loop at at cooler temp.

Old 12-12-2004, 12:46 PM
blakehodges83

I haven't done much w/ my Dodge truck, but I've been around cars my whole life, and anytime you make too much of a steep drop in your thermostat, it is not good, atleast on newer cars. On my mustang I tried many setups but this is a bad one unless you have a chip or programmer that allows the use of a 180 thermo. If you replace a 195 w/ a 180 and do not adjust the computer. It throws a heck of alot more fuel in there that is unburned w/ equals carbon build up all over the place. This is my experience w/ a 97 gt. So maybe a Dodgetech can tell you what the computer will do, but if it does not adjust the motor will get clogged w/ carbon. Try looking at chip or programmer upgrades that will allow it.

Quick Reply: Mods