3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
K & N
40.78%
TrueFlow
11.17%
AEM
7.26%
S&B
2.23%
Air Raid
8.94%
Varram
2.23%
Volant
10.06%
Afe
2.79%
Air Ram
2.79%
Other
11.73%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Cold Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:56 PM
spud11
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cold Air Intakes

I voted other, I got some different lengths of pipe and a filter with some rubber connectors and made my own. Just gotta get the duct wrap to help insulate it and keep the air cool. It also made my stock exhaust much louder, especially at WOT around the 2500 and up RPM range. I'll get pictures as soon as I can deciper the techno jargon to post em.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:10 PM
ruffnready5

I'm wondering which one will still be in buisiness two years from now when I need a filter or spare parts......overpriced K&N, or will I go Airraid...hhhmmm

Old 12-16-2007, 03:57 AM
Brother Rob
Retired Moderator

I have a Mopar CAI,...which is the same as an AEM Brute Force, really. I like it.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:56 PM
hagsc01

Just put a K&N on, sounds great. Sounds fast, but feels sluggish. I am not sure if the truck can't keep up with the sound (in my mind) or the computer is not used to it yet, or something is not right. Any ideas

Old 12-25-2007, 09:25 PM
BHRAM

This is a good thread, i'vebeenlookinginto getting a CAI form the looks of it the K&N is a better choice......i got 2 modded mustangs so performance isnt new to me, just that trucks have some truck sepcificaftermarket distributors and this is my first truck........

Old 12-26-2007, 12:02 PM
HEMI07
Veteran

I just installed my True Flow XDI yesterday. Not sure about performance or gas mileage yet since I really haven't had a chance to really drive it. It definetely made my exhaust sound awesome and accents the engine compartment nice!

Old 12-26-2007, 12:40 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

Got a trueflow on the way right now!

Old 12-26-2007, 02:17 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: BHRAM

This is a good thread, i'vebeenlookinginto getting a CAI form the looks of it the K&N is a better choice......i got 2 modded mustangs so performance isnt new to me, just that trucks have some truck sepcificaftermarket distributors and this is my first truck........
not neccessarily better... but more popular yes...

I love trueflow... then again.. i might by bias

Old 12-26-2007, 03:49 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: hagsc01

Just put a K&N on, sounds great. Sounds fast, but feels sluggish. I am not sure if the truck can't keep up with the sound (in my mind) or the computer is not used to it yet, or something is not right. Any ideas
Hags, properly installed, there is NO WAY you should see degraded performance! Double check and make sure everything is connected and tight. It's also possible you knocked some dirt & debris into the throttle body and/or on the sensor. These are the first things I would check if your performance truly is degraded after your install.

BHRAM, really any name brand that is a true CAI isa goodimprovement over stock. I have the K&N but mainly because I got a deal on it at the time, plus I've been using their drop-in filters with good results for years. Whatever way you go, I think it's important to go with one that replaces everything from the throttle body out. The stock air box and especially that big plastic baffle over the throttle body are quite restrictive. The newer TrueFlow XDi, the AEM Brute Force and K&N would be just a couple of good choices.
An important thing to remember is that performance increases as a direct result of increased intake AND exhaust flow. A CAI is really a waste without at least a good cat back exhaust system.Headers would also compliment the system nicely.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:03 PM
pcollins
Veteran

Question...
Trying to decide between the K&N and the Trueflow.. On this forum, the only people mentioning how good the TF's are is the people with the XDI's... Does this mean the regular TF for my truck wouldnt be very good? I found a GREAT price for this kit at http://www.amazon.com/True-Flow-3050.../dp/B0007W51QO. That is the kit that fits my truck.

Would I be better off with a K&N? Im torn between the gauze of the K&N and the foam of the TF
(Dont really wanna spend much more than $200 either, planning to get my Magnaflowreal soon also)

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes