3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tire size?...no, different question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:28 AM
sa1765
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire size?...no, different question

i'm not needing new tires yet, but i've been poking around some manufacturers sites...not alot of selection for 17", but i haven't seen any 33 or 35x 10.5....they all seem to be 12.5" wide. i'm wanting some all terrains, i had bfg's on an old jeep, really liked them and would like them on my truck...but something compareable would do.
any suggestions????

Old 12-04-2007, 06:47 AM
OldMoparMan
Veteran
Default RE: tire size?...no, different question

Not sure where you're from, but I've been running "Jetzon" tires on mine. They hum a little on the highway, but don't slip in the wet, and work great in the snow. (PA....5"+ snow,twice already this year)

I got LT rated, at $153 per tire, mounted and balanced. Most tires are more then that, NOT LT rated and extra for the other stuff.

Jetzon was bought by by numerous companies since it's start in 1965, including Goodyear, and is currently owned by Sumitomo, but made in the USA.

I've never had an issue with them, (owned multiple sets) and the one tire that I had an issue with, warranty covered it, no questions asked.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:58 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

for 33's the narrowest i think you can go would be 285/70/r17

Old 12-04-2007, 10:07 AM
tnt1036
Professional

Toyo open county A/T 285/75R17

They are 33.8 inches tall and only 11.7 wide.

I want someone to try them first. My tires are still good until next year.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:02 AM
SLCHemi
Professional

I'm running Toyo Open Country AT's that are 285 X 75 X 17, have for about a year. Initialy I was going to go wider, but was driving the truck daily and didn't want to deal with the middle of the tire wearing out (have buddies, and the guys at the tire shop said the big fat tires all wear out the middle a little faster). I thought they'd look a little "narrow", but they don't and while the truck is back to it's original purpose (weekend warrior), they've worn very well. I've had BFG's and Big O "XT's" on different trucks before. Both were "ok", but the Toyo's in my opinion are better. Quieter on the freeway, far less slip in the rain (Big O "XT" were awfull in the rain), they clean out better in the mud and snow than the BFG's did...Anyhow, they are LT (10 ply) and as you can tell so far I dig 'em...

[IMG]local://upfiles/28016/403D89B8D70B4A549A2692226DF92ADF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-04-2007, 01:14 PM
tnt1036
Professional

ORIGINAL: SLCHemi

I'm running Toyo Open Country AT's that are 285 X 75 X 17, have for about a year. Initialy I was going to go wider, but was driving the truck daily and didn't want to deal with the middle of the tire wearing out (have buddies, and the guys at the tire shop said the big fat tires all wear out the middle a little faster). I thought they'd look a little "narrow", but they don't and while the truck is back to it's original purpose (weekend warrior), they've worn very well. I've had BFG's and Big O "XT's" on different trucks before. Both were "ok", but the Toyo's in my opinion are better. Quieter on the freeway, far less slip in the rain (Big O "XT" were awfull in the rain), they clean out better in the mud and snow than the BFG's did...Anyhow, they are LT (10 ply) and as you can tell so far I dig 'em...

Thanks for the info. I think that is what I'm going with next year. After I put on the body lift. If you runs yours down by next year save a tire for me, I don't really want to buy a new tire for a spare. Your rims really look nice on your truck, nice choice.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:41 PM
sa1765
Veteran

ORIGINAL: tnt1036

ORIGINAL: SLCHemi

Thanks for the info. I think that is what I'm going with next year. After I put on the body lift. If you runs yours down by next year save a tire for me, I don't really want to buy a new tire for a spare. Your rims really look nice on your truck, nice choice.
+1 i'd like a spare also....are you taking pre-orders?
thanks for the info on the toyos...i'll absolutely look into those.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:00 AM
SLCHemi
Professional

Thanks for the compliments...

On the spares, sure, I'll take pre-orders but at the rate I'm driving the truck these days it'll be years before the current set runs out. I work from a home office now and have litteraly only putabout 200miles on the truck in 6 months It was odd changing the oil with that little mileage on it...still looked clean!

Quick Reply: tire size?...no, different question