3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

differential problems again

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 01:00 AM
carynis1doll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: differential problems again

Ive looked up the detroit tur-trac differential for 479.00 and the precision pinion n' sprocket for 277.00 thats not installed if i change one should i change the other i didnt get the tow package so i probably dont have the LSD

Old 12-26-2007, 08:46 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When is the last time your replaced the fluid in the differential (miles)?

Old 12-26-2007, 06:56 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tafet

It depends on what brand you buy. I've read in a few threads that the Auburn seems pretty good. But your probably looking at a starting price of $400.00. I personnaly I don't trust dealerships. When I have a job that I can't do I take my truck to a place that I've done a lot of business with, and I have them do it for me. I'm not sure when I'll get mine done. I have to get out of the sandbox first.
I've seen an Auburn limited slip at www.airram.com for 384.00. They list an install price in Texas as 335.00. If you do it you might as well get the master bearing kit too. Since it all has to come apart anyway.

What exactly is a master bearing? And how will it make the vehicle better handling?

Old 06-04-2008, 07:22 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok i know this has been posted many times in the past, and i've read the post and different inputs. Now it seems that i might also have the same problem with my differential.
While driving it sounds like theres a whining noise coming from the rear..Initially i thought it was my imagination, so i closed all of the windows except the rear one, and there is no doubt, a whining noise coming from the rear..I thought maybe i should have the Differential fluid changed so i went out and got new Fluids including the LSD from mopar.....The mechanic who changed the fluid test drove it before and after the change and it still has that whining noise..
With the economy the way it is, i really didn't want to fork out any money right now on a new differential, but it appears that i might have too.....Anyone can chime in...

Old 06-04-2008, 10:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: NYPANAMA42

Ok i know this has been posted many times in the past, and i've read the post and different inputs. Now it seems that i might also have the same problem with my differential.
While driving it sounds like theres a whining noise coming from the rear..Initially i thought it was my imagination, so i closed all of the windows except the rear one, and there is no doubt, a whining noise coming from the rear..I thought maybe i should have the Differential fluid changed so i went out and got new Fluids including the LSD from mopar.....The mechanic who changed the fluid test drove it before and after the change and it still has that whining noise..
With the economy the way it is, i really didn't want to fork out any money right now on a new differential, but it appears that i might have too.....Anyone can chime in...
I answered your PM...

But I'm chiming in here for the benefit of others.
Dudes, NEVER pay someone for a differential fluid change and let them just siphon the old out and pour in the new. YOUR DIFFS NEED TO BE INSPECTED AT THE TIME OF EVERY LUBE CHANGE!!! Anyplace you pay to change your diff fluids does it this way, you need to not give him any more business. Now Panama man has got to go and pay someone else to crack open the diff cover, wasting all that he just paid to do, and visually inspect where the problem is coming from!!!

Rant over...

Quick Reply: differential problems again