3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 09:12 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Suspension

I love my truck, but I have noticed something I'm not too comfortable with. It seems when I go around a curve, or in town an intersection with a slight curve, and a few bumps, the rearend can get away from me pretty easily. I've been driving a truck since I got my license, and I understand there's not much weight in the back, but this truck is a lot worse than anything I've ever driven. My last truck, GM sierra, didn't have this problem (drove it through the same forementioned intersection many times) until the shocks were over 100k miles old, new shocks cleared the problem up. Do you guys think I should ask the dealership about it, or is this common? I MIGHT be going 40 mph around a slight curve through this intersection, there's a few bumps that have formed over the years of Semi's stopping and starting at the light. I've had to make a conscious effort to slow down even more when going through this intersection if the light's green. It also happened to me on the interstate the other day. Going around a very slight curve, hit a bridge transition and the rearend got a little loose.

I just thought of putting this up after reading someone else's front-end suspension thread. I've been meaning to take it to the dealership and ask them about it, but figured I'd see if this is normal or not..

Old 12-09-2007, 10:11 PM
MoparRob
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear Suspension

My 03 will do exactly what you are talking about. Most of the time is a small series of bumps not just one, but i know just what your speaking of. Let me know if the stealership had any advice on it.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:39 PM
bwhite757
All Star

Yep, that's what I meant, it's normally with a series of bumps...

Old 12-09-2007, 10:49 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker

do you feel like your floating when hitting a series offreeway bumps. Mine feels like it almost floats into the next lane. Kinda of superises me.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:58 PM
schmedly
Rookie

I have exactly the same problem and I know that it's the garbage OEM shocks. The only reason that I haven't replaced them yet is that I prefer Bilsteins and for the '07 they will not be manufactured until next year. The Monroe reflex is another reputable option. This truck is substanyially less stabile around turns than my '98 Ram.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:45 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

With every new style change ALL the truck makers are trying to make everyone happy to increase sales. The towing capacity goes up, the max. load weight goes up, they change the IFS front ends to try to give it a soccer mom ride. Something has got to give. So the trade off of being able to haul/tow the weight you needed a 2500 series truck for a couple of years ago is the death wobble and general poor handling capabilities you experience with an empty bed.
Put about 200 lbs. back there, over the axle, and you'll see a night & day difference.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:28 AM
marv02
Captain

Try this Link I did it fixed my rear sway problem handles great now.

http://www.hemitruckclub.com/MrHemi%...ar/hellwig.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...QQcmdZViewItem

Let me know how you like it I got mine on E-Bay cheepist place I could find it.

ORIGINAL: bwhite757

I love my truck, but I have noticed something I'm not too comfortable with. It seems when I go around a curve, or in town an intersection with a slight curve, and a few bumps, the rearend can get away from me pretty easily. I've been driving a truck since I got my license, and I understand there's not much weight in the back, but this truck is a lot worse than anything I've ever driven. My last truck, GM sierra, didn't have this problem (drove it through the same forementioned intersection many times) until the shocks were over 100k miles old, new shocks cleared the problem up. Do you guys think I should ask the dealership about it, or is this common? I MIGHT be going 40 mph around a slight curve through this intersection, there's a few bumps that have formed over the years of Semi's stopping and starting at the light. I've had to make a conscious effort to slow down even more when going through this intersection if the light's green. It also happened to me on the interstate the other day. Going around a very slight curve, hit a bridge transition and the rearend got a little loose.

I just thought of putting this up after reading someone else's front-end suspension thread. I've been meaning to take it to the dealership and ask them about it, but figured I'd see if this is normal or not..

Old 12-10-2007, 01:53 PM
bwhite757
All Star

I have been thinking about putting a sway bar on, but with it christmas, and me just spending $700 at the dentist, I think that's going to have to wait.... Thanks for the replies guys...

Old 12-10-2007, 08:36 PM
brianas
Professional

ive driven HD pickups for years, and you get used to the rear kicking a
little, though this 06 ram has the softest springs and suspension of
any truck i have ever owned , but it still kicks.
the thing that scares me is the front of the truck will kick over
sometimes about half a lane on the highway, when hitting small bumps
especially around a slight curve--imo>poorly designed front end.

i recently got new shocks on and it helpsvery little with the rear
kick out, i think the shocks would have to be relocated outside
the frame rails to be more effective.

like everyone else says, its a truck , throw a couple hundred pounds
over the rear axle and leave it there- thats the best bandaid
g/l

Old 12-10-2007, 09:46 PM
marv02
Captain

Buy A Anti Sway Bar It makes Night and Day Diffrents with these Trucks it one of the best mods I put on the truck to Date you will notbe sorry.

My tuck felt like the rear end was going pass the front end up on long sweepping corners very unstable feeling the Anti Sway bar fixed all that the truck feels planted on the ground now.

I found There main brands Out there some company that starts with a A ALCOI Think??, I forget they looked kind of cheeply made I went with the Hellwig Brand very happy with it I very picky what I speand my money on it was worth every penny, The paint on the small brakets are not very good I repainted them before I installed them.

Hellwig bolts on very easy about 1 Hour with hand tools by you'er self you notice the diffrence the first time you drive the truck after insatalation of the Anti Sway Bar.

There one more Anti sway bar out there But it is lot more money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension