3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil change from HELL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:58 AM
sddunn2
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil change from HELL!!!

I too say use a strap wrench there is no filter that can not be taken off with a strap wrench !!(make surethe strap is nylon)I woulld not be poking it with a screwdriver once you do that you are screwed !! and it gives you less metal to work with . Go to lordco oryour local parts storeand buy a strap filter wrench and it WILL come off !!!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:54 AM
kregier
Veteran

I'm a fan of a big pair of channel lock pliers myself. Has worked everytime for me.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

I had the same problem with my filter. The strap wrench finally worked but it took a good hour or more to loosen it up.
Anyone relocate their filter to a more accessible location? What product did you use?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:06 PM
redtruck2500
Professional

They also make a filter " socket" that resembles a big socket that can be used with a 3/8 socket wrench. It fits the end of the filter .

Old 12-10-2007, 08:41 PM
brianas
Professional

same trouble here,
used a LARGE screw driver thru it and a hammer
what a pita

Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 PM
loiler921
Professional

ORIGINAL: MoparRob

I dont know what kinda space you are working with, but I have had to grab them with channel locks before and really dent the sides to remove them. The only filter wrench I have has a small handle so not much torque. But the channies got it off no prob. Just an idea GL.

12 inch channle locks is what i use all the time, moms car, bros truck, lawnmower, sno blower.\\

no dickin' around with sh**y oil wrenches

Old 12-10-2007, 09:29 PM
bigsimp
Rookie

I used Channel locks myself and it worked great. You would think that dodge and the dealerships would be smart enough not to tighten them down that tight.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:11 PM
yougottit

Pretty obvious that the original filter went on without any oil on the rubber gasket...wouldnt you like to talk to the guy that put it on!!!!! Had a similar situation on my hyundai pony in 1987....filter wouldnt come off and the filter wrench started crushing the filter...so I tried the screwdriver thru the filter and shredded the filter right around which left me with oily jagged edges to work with....finnaly got if off with a chain wrench and when the filter finally let go it did so with a big "crack" and then gave in....

Old 12-11-2007, 05:40 PM
SLCHemi
Professional

I go for the strap's when theirs room (on my 2500 there's pleanty), but if it fights me or their isn't room (my wifes cars always seem to have the filter in a spot where there is hardly any room) the oil filter socket + extensions as needed + breaker has always worked. As far as the screwdriver trick, it really should be your absolute last resort. If it just tears the case your in a world of hurt!

Oh ya, on the explitives, over the years, especially when I was young and ended up working on my old beaters in the snow and cold, I'm convinced cursing the part seems to help. I think I've even made up some pretty foul utterances on occasion, usually right after I manage to slip off a bolt or nut, and skin my knuckles with cold hands!

Quick Reply: oil change from HELL!!!