3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil change from HELL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:00 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change from HELL!!!

Ah yes...your brand new trucks first oil change...oh the memories. This truck is my first new vehicle ever and I was sooo excited to change the oil today. Went to walmart and got 7 qts ofpenz platinumwith a Mobil 1 filter...got home and went to work on her. I had all the proper tools laid out and even read a tip on here about cutting a bottle in half to catch oil from the filter...so I had a old windshield wiper fluid bottle cut and ready to rock.

Now I just have to say in my short 27 years of life i've done at least a couple hundred oil changes, several cam and rear swaps/rebuilds, bolt-on stuff and some machine work over the years...so I somewhat know my way around vehicles. I for the life of me couldn't remove the damn oil filter!!! I was using several different types of filter wrenches and was out there for a few HOURS trying to get this sum byoutch off.

The filter has some damage to it now but I had no choice but to add the new oil[:'(]...which is going to be a waste because I have to get this filter off. I can't believe the filter is on there this tight...I mean really, WTF Dodge? The filter only has 1,500 miles on it but the sides are kinda crushed in a little now. The sad part is i'm always going to remember this oil change because it's the first...I was hoping it would be a good one[&o]

So if you guys don't have any tips then I guess the dealer is going to give her a rip and see what happens....anyone have any tips or know of a better tool then the standard filter wrenches?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:06 PM
MoparRob
Veteran
Default RE: oil change from HELL!!!

I dont know what kinda space you are working with, but I have had to grab them with channel locks before and really dent the sides to remove them. The only filter wrench I have has a small handle so not much torque. But the channies got it off no prob. Just an idea GL.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:07 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude sorry to hear about that...Other than the typica filter wrenches, i can't think of anything else......Maybe the dealership will be able to help you out. Maybe one of the other guys can offer you a tip.....

Old 12-09-2007, 10:10 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

strap wrench.... or use one of those oil filter wrenches and lay sandpaper in it... really wedge it on there.. might need a hammer.... twist it off.... i only had to do that once

Old 12-09-2007, 11:16 PM
topcop38
Professional

take a long screwdriver and poke it through the side all the way through then turn. i've never had to do this but have heard it works pretty well.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Iceman344

Ahh ..I remember this part..the oil change. Iworked my *** off getting themf off. I finally had to shove a big screwdriver through the top portion of the filter and torque it off that way...it took every bit of strength i had. I nearly passed out before it came off. Good luck bro.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:48 PM
K4u2luz2

I had the same problem wife my wife's 07 grand cherokee, i bought every kind of wrench and still couldn't get it off. i was so ticked off that I went to the dealer and the service advisor told me that they do an oil change for $29.95 and I told him that I brought the new filter and oil and the dealership was going to get that thing off. So then I followed the vehicle back and the Tech told me that it is crazy every new chrysler product is tighten way beyond. So then I watched him take it off and he used a big screw driven and then hammered it through the oil filter and then pounded on the screw driver to beat it off.

I feel your pain, WTF DODGE/Chrysler!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:05 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

get a torch and heat it up

Old 12-10-2007, 12:19 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: topcop38

take a long screwdriver and poke it through the side all the way through then turn. i've never had to do this but have heard it works pretty well.
not neccessarily... a lot of the oil filters today (fram) are really cheaply made and will just shear apart...

Old 12-10-2007, 12:22 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

get a torch and heat it up? right, I see fire in your future...

anyway the giant flathead screwdriver rammed through the heart of it works everytime... doone this trick to several of my past vehicles... never could figure out how the filter gets on there so damn tight even after I have changed it myself previously.

Quick Reply: oil change from HELL!!!