3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hard wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:56 PM
screamskiier
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard wiring

hi i have a series of lights and radios currently hard wired to my battery. i went away for a couple months and my battery was low but my truck still started. is this normal or is it possible that even when the radios (cb and a scanner) and lights (6 strobes, 4 led grill lights, and a led lightbar) are drawing power from the battery even when they are all turned off? the strobe lights and grill lights are hooked up to an external switch, the cb and scanner have inline fuses and are hooked directly to the battery i use the ***** on each to turn them on and off, the light bar has a switch box with a fuse that is also hooked directly to the battery. if they do draw power while they are off how can i make it so they don't? if it is normal for this to happen to the battery over a couple months how can i prevent it from going completly dead? would it be better to hook my cb and scanner to the ignition if so how do i do that or is that to risky? Should i hook up another battery or is one enough and how would i go about doing this?

thanks,
matt

Old 12-10-2007, 04:04 PM
kregier
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hard wiring

From the little experience I have storing vehicles (3 of them), this is common. Well with me anyway because I keep forgetting to disconnect the stupid thing.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:59 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: hard wiring

Fairly common. There is always power draw (clock, computer, etc.) Two months without charging the battery would certainly make it reluctant to turn over.

Quick Reply: hard wiring