3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

perf ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Catholic Damage
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default perf ?'s

ok, ive got an 03 HEMI with Hypertech programmer(wish i went superchips), aem brute force, and flowmaster delta 40 SS catback(ugh).
from what ive heard, this is about the farthest you can go witht he stock 03 valve springs. truck has 74k miles on it, so its out of warranty. i was looking into either forced induction or a wet kit. im leaning towards a wet kit with RPM cutout so i dont burn out my tq converter(onlyspray from 3k-6k), but im worried about these springs. is it true that theya re weak? if so, does dodge have a replacement for them, or is there an aftermarket company i can go with?
any help would be greatly appreciatted.
thanks in advance

Old 12-08-2007, 05:57 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: perf ?'s

yeah springs on 03's are bad...they have upgraded ones, but if i was you i'd go with an aftermarket spring...Comp Cams makes em, along with some other companies...be a great idea to go aftermarket anyways if you plan on doing a cam upgrade in the future as well

Old 12-08-2007, 07:52 PM
djr04
All Star

i hear the 6.1 exhaust springs are a great replacement [/align]

Old 12-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Catholic Damage
Professional

aight. ill look into both. just gonna have to set aside a weekend to do them.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ckeck out the comp cams... if you plan on doing springs and this kinda performance work they makes some great cams for ya too... and my opinion is forced induction over wet... anyday...

Old 12-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Catholic Damage
Professional

which kind of forced? I was considering fabbing up a turbonetics 66 trim, but the paxton bolt on centrifugal s/c kit looks nice too. the problem is, i daily drive the truck till Project Regal GS is complete, which could take a year. thats why i was thinking spray. power only when i want it, which would only be when an unsuspecting SRT-4,C4, F-body,or SN95/PI stang approaches...

Old 12-10-2007, 10:13 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

yea... but whats the rush OK i cant say that LOL i always wanna do something to the truck! but sts makes a nice kit for our trucks and i think that krcperformance sells a kit called the "srt killer package" or something similar....

Old 12-10-2007, 05:12 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you've got the big 3 (tuner, catback & CAI) the next logical steps to see good power gains would be e-fan, LT Headers. Then a CAM and with that you would need springs (6.1, Comp or Manley's; retainers, & damper.
That in combination with what you already have would give you close to 100 HP over stock at the engine, from your roughly 345 stock, up to about 425-435 on paper. The achilles heelin our trucks however is the torque converter. We lose a ton of HP in getting it from the engine to the rear wheels. This would be about as far as you could take it (naturally asperated) without tranny work and head work.
I know the Superchips does a good job at controlling someof the milder to mid cams such as the Mopar 6.1, Comp 260, 268 and the KRC 210. Idon't know how the Hypertech handles them, so you might need a custom tune as well.

Quick Reply: perf ?'s