3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 Ram Hemi Exhaust Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:56 PM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 Ram Hemi Exhaust Overhaul

Hello DF!!! My name is Mike and I am new to these forums. I have taken some time and read threads on the topics that I am about to discuss as not to be "that guy", but I cannot seem to find answers to my specific needs (even though I'm sure I will be B*tched at for posting a thread with this topic)

I am looking to overhaul the exhaust system from the headers back. I am looking for a nice mellow tone that is not too loud. I am an audiophile, so I do not want it to be so loud that it interferes with my tunes, (but I will have the entire truck lined with dynamat by xmas, so this may help) I have already added the K&N kit to the truck, which added a nice throaty sound.

I am also not looking to break the bank, so cost effective answers would help also. I know that the Dynatech system is pretty sick, but what about the pacesetters? They are really cheap, but how do they hold up?

Also, what other mods would be fairly inexpensive?

I love my new truck, and hope to have many fruitful discussions with you! (I upgraded to this QCab from a V6 Dakota, same color...I've been a dodge guy since day 1)

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-10-2007, 02:43 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Default RE: 04 Ram Hemi Exhaust Overhaul

Personally, I've never wanted to do anything to the exhaust manifold and cats, headers are nice, but don't create as much in the performance section for what they cost.

Personally, if you're just looking to get a little more tone, my exhaust shop done me up with a Flowmaster 50 Series HD Single in / Dual out for $240 out the door.

I put the exits behind the wheels:

And if you look in my signature, you can listen to the sound clips I got, exterior and interior. My truck is loud, but not too bad, you can drown it out easy with with the stereo, and you can hold a conversation on highway speeds..

Old 12-10-2007, 03:07 PM
mfs212
Captain

Thanks for the input, your truck sounds good. I like that. How much does the exit point affect the sound?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:35 PM
bwhite757
All Star

I would assume it probably doesn't. Personally I just like that look...

Old 12-11-2007, 10:53 AM
mfs212
Captain

Anyone else have any input on the subject?

Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got magnaflow single in duel out the rear. It is not load at all, it has a nice deep tone, and you would not need the dynamat with this setup. It sounds great, and I got it installed $280 out the door.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:28 AM
mfs212
Captain

What about using a muffler for each side of the headers?

Old 12-11-2007, 11:33 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

K&N CAI, Pacesetter LT Headers (custom ceramic coat), Cats retained and moved back 18" and O2 sensor wireslengthened to accomodate the headers. DI/DO Flowmaster 50HD muffler (a really ****ty flowing muffler but it has great sound and I actually needed a little backpressure for low end, that's why I welded the cats back on, those LT headers increased flow so well, that I had really great mid and high end HP gains, but lost some low end torque.
The headers really deepened the exhaust sound, not really any louder, just a lot deeper. It also woke up the whole intake/exhaust system as not only did it unleash a good bit of mid & high HP, but my gas mileage (when I can stay the hell off it) increased a good 2 - 2.5 mpg.
The LT headers were originally added because the cam I want and plan to add next, required them, but now that I've got them, I'd do it again even if I was not planning on upgrading the cam.

The cost for the headers was really reasonable, I paid just over $300 to the door for uncoated and sent them to a coating shop for ceramic coat (recommended to me by a local performance shop) who charged me $150 to coat them, much better than the factory coat. I put them on myself in about 2 hours in the driveway. After I was done I went back a few days later and cut and welded the cats back in and extended the o2's. This got rid of the CEL (which I didn't care about as there are no inspections here in FL.) but more so to get a little backpressure back into the system for low end torque.
You could easily install them yourself in the driveway - all the bolts are super easily accessible if you remove the tire well liners on each side. You could take off the exhaust manifold, cut the pipes right behind the cats bolt on the headers and then take it to a muffler shop to have everything welded back up. Labor shouldn't cost more than $150 to $200.
So, if you bought the LT's with factory ceramic coat put them on yourself, then paid to have everything welded back together you are still only talking about maybe $700 topps for some really good gains and a mod that will tie a lot of other mods together...

[IMG]local://upfiles/67238/4CCA55842E3D445280E7DC2B279D21C9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/67238/7A37B218024D4C12851512DD4ECCFE37.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-11-2007, 12:39 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

i have no idea what year your truck is so i dont know about mds or anything... anywho hammer has a nice setup... i would go with something similar if you dont wanna be too loud go with a 50 series

Old 12-11-2007, 12:52 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i have the same setup bwhite but with a 40 series muff. ive had it on my 06 for a year and half now. only thing that sucks is my tips are really starting to look ****ty. i woudl wash and polish them all the time, but in winter its hard with the salt, going tp have 2 new tips put on after winter. anyways im confused MFS, you said you wanted to do this cheap and now your thinking about getting headers and doing true dual? i woudl think that woudl cost double. $300 for headers, $probably around $200 for 2 muffs, maybe $200 if not more for cats and if you cant do it yourself a few hundred in labor. for cheap just call amuffler shop and ask what they suggest for your needs, most places can give you waht you want for under $300 ( if you just want a normal single in dual out exhaust.)

Quick Reply: 04 Ram Hemi Exhaust Overhaul