3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Previous Superchips Install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:16 PM
clemsonteg
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Previous Superchips Install?

Hello everyone,
My name is Ryan, I am new to the forums. I have been on plenty before for my Hondas, and my subaru, but I have grown out of those and will soon be selling my 300whp WRX so that I can buy an 05 Ram quad cab with the 5.7L engine. I took a look at the truck today and plan to bring it home with me tomorrow afternoon for an overnight test drive. I noticed when looking at it today that it had a sticker on the airbox for a k&n filter (didnt get a chance to crack it open and check) and there was also a sticker on the radiator support for superchips. Now coming from plenty of imports I am well aware that stickers never indicate actual products (unless your in a cool honda cause they always come with the NAWZ haha). I was wondering if there is anyway I can check to see if it still has a superchips programmer installed on the truck. I plan to ask the dealer if I can get the previous owners phone number to call and ask directly or if they can ask, but I wasnt sure if there was a way I could check. I know my way around an ecu somewhat as I tuned my own cars like my subaru with Opensource tuning and a laptop. I am hoping to get the truck by the end of the week, its a nice truck with less than 16k on it selling for 4k under blue book so I am ready to get out of a car thats 4 inches off the ground and get into something a little more roomy.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:34 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Previous Superchips Install?

Unless the programmer is coming with the truck, I doubt the Superchips flash is still in it. Unless the previous owner was unaware that the programmer was locked to that truck until the factory flash is put back on. Also, chances are someone swiped the K&N filter, they do that around my area anyway, exchange it back to a paper filter, and give the K&N to a buddy, or sell it.

I'm pretty sure you can't "Check" to see if the Superchips flash is still there, I'm sure the Dealer would be happy to re-flash it with the factory flash though (If it's a Dodge Dealership). I don't personally own a Superchips programmer, but I have been reading A LOT about them on this forum...

Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 PM
ray97
Veteran

I think probably the best thing to is have the dealer reflash the computer to ensure that the SC is still not on there. If it is still on there and you buy another SC's it may not take because of the previous programmer. It sounds like it is a good deal though. Enjoy!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 10:44 PM
bwhite757
All Star

oh yeah, and GOTIGERS!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 PM
clemsonteg
Rookie

yeah its not at a dodge dealership but I am sure I could take it to one as mentioned, like I said I am going to try and contact the original owner and ask him myself what the deal is.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:35 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

No matter what the former owner did, I would still get the CPU reflashed back to stock. If he did leave a program on there, it could be something that you are unfamiliar with and you don't want to screw up the truck thinking it is safe to redline or top out and it is not. I would get it reflashed, buy a new programmer, and do everything yourself so you are sure that it is a safe program to run hard.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:50 PM
clemsonteg
Rookie

does anyone know if a dealership would charge to reflash it? I know the truck should still be under warranty as it as 16k miles on it and its an 05 but I have never had a dealer reflash a vehicle I have done it myself with my tactrix cable and a laptop but I dont have the definitions for a Ram so I wouldnt be able to do it to this vehicle

Old 12-11-2007, 06:47 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Depending on the dealer. If you show up and they are in a great mood, then maybe not. the best thing to do is to talk to the service guy and let him know that you bought it, saw the sticker, and don't want warranty problems if the CPU is programmed wrong. Never hurts to just ask though.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:06 PM
clemsonteg
Rookie

Thanks for the info, I actually called 2 dodge dealerships near me today. One of them had no idea what I was talking about (wont ever be taking the truck there for service) and the other knew what I was talking about and said it should be covered under the warranty but to call tomorrow and talk to the service manager to check. If its not covered it will cost $81, which is a small price to pay for sercurity and peace of mind. On a side note I called the salesman where I will be getting the truck and I was told that I can get the previous owners information...but not until I sign papers on the vehicle, haha, typical

Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Good job and good luck. Lets see some pics once you sign those papers....

Quick Reply: Previous Superchips Install?