3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

When trying to start all I hear is "click"

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:20 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: When trying to start all I hear is "click"

ORIGINAL: SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Are dodges fuel pumps in the tank? If they are then running the truck with low gas all the time or running out of gas is bad for the fuel pump...just a matter of time before you fry it. I've also seen fuel filters get clogged when running out of gas...the pump sucks the sludge out of the tank.
I think everyone puts the pump in the tank. I can vouch for the "low fuel not good" idea. Lost a fuel pump in a '95 Ram Wagon 'cause of the habit of waiting 'til the absolute last minute to fuel up. Cost me over $500 for a replacement.I had just filled it up, so the process was delayed while they drained 36 gal of gas out of it.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:21 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

So did the battery fix it?

Old 12-11-2007, 10:14 PM
gmanagtjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

battery didnt fix it guys. Still same click. Engine is not turning over. Do I look at the fuel pump now???

Old 12-11-2007, 10:40 PM
sddunn2
Professional

sounds like a dead spot in the starter try tapping your starter with a hammer while someone it trying to start it hope that works . seen it tons .
good luck!!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:41 PM
JayH2112
Veteran

Soundsmore like a bad solenoid. My dad had the same problem with our E-350 V-10, sohow we tested it was we wouldjump it over with a screwdriver, replaced the solenoid and it has been fine (well, 'til my little brotherwrecked it). I don't think it ever made a clicking noise, but I would check it out.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:46 PM
sddunn2
Professional

the click sounds like the solinoid is working but starter motor is not .sometimes even if you just move your truck a tiny bit it will be enough to move the dead spot and varoom it starts ! try the hammer !!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:55 PM
JayH2112
Veteran

That is a definite possibility too. Many times I have use the ol tap tap trick to get a old outboard starter spinin' again.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:20 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

So jumping it got it started. A new battery got it started. All your lights and everything else works. I am going with the alternator now. The battery can be around 9 - 10 volts and still run the lights and such, and a new battery or a jump will give you the cranking amps to start, but a half dead battery that can't be charged does you know good. I have had this happen to me 2x's on previous vehicles. I would make a trip to PepBoys or Autozone and have it checked. They will do it for free.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:29 PM
sa1765
Veteran

i think he said a new batt. did not fix it. it won't be the fuel pump, otherwise it'd still crank. i'm with the starter too.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:29 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

FirstI would try to jump the solenoid with a screwdriver to see if you can get the engine to turn over. Also the easiest way to test an alternator IF you can get it started is just disconnect the battery while its running. If it dies bad alternator. Also what did you do differently when you jumped it? Did you hook the negative side of the jumpers to chassis or the neg terminal of the battery??

Quick Reply: When trying to start all I hear is "click"