3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

When trying to start all I hear is "click"

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:28 PM
gmanagtjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: When trying to start all I hear is "click"

Does anyone have a picture of the location of the solenoid and starter. Or just give me a rough idea of its location. I will try put a jumper from the battery to the starter to see if the starter is working.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:03 PM
drhunter
Professional

The solenoid is attached to the starter. Follow the + side of the battery wire. It goes down and attaches to the starter/solenoid. Check your connections on the battery and the starter and make sure they are tight and not corroded. If it all checks out then I would say you need a new starter. They can test the starter for you at the auto parts store.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:02 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gmanagtjr

battery didnt fix it guys. Still same click. Engine is not turning over. Do I look at the fuel pump now???
Only if you think the fuel pump turns the motor. Does sound like a starter issue now. Also seems a bit early for the starter to fail. The advice to have someone tap the starter while you twist the key sounds like a good idea. My Hemi's starter is under the right side of the motor. Forgot what motor you have, so that's speculation. BTW, NEVER disconnect the battery while the motor's running. In the past, that was a good diagnostic tool, but these days, it'll cook something very expensive (an' I ain't talkin' filet mignon).

Old 12-12-2007, 07:19 PM
sddunn2
Professional

i second what mikehtally said !!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:22 PM
gmanagtjr

First I checked to make sure the truck wouldnt start, just in case. I hate it when things all of sudden work. Located the starter, first wiggled the +12VDC for the starter and tried a start. Bingo!! the wire is a little loose but I think mostly a poor contact due to corrosion. The starter is not guardedfrom any of the elements, especially up here in canada where the is snow and ice. I will jack the reuck up tommorow and clean the conections properly. Thanks for your help guys, just saved me trip and possibly some serious cash.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:30 PM
sddunn2
Professional

awsome !! thats just great !! thanks for the update

Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

ORIGINAL: MikeHTally

ORIGINAL: gmanagtjr

battery didnt fix it guys. Still same click. Engine is not turning over. Do I look at the fuel pump now???
Only if you think the fuel pump turns the motor. Does sound like a starter issue now. Also seems a bit early for the starter to fail. The advice to have someone tap the starter while you twist the key sounds like a good idea. My Hemi's starter is under the right side of the motor. Forgot what motor you have, so that's speculation. BTW, NEVER disconnect the battery while the motor's running. In the past, that was a good diagnostic tool, but these days, it'll cook something very expensive (an' I ain't talkin' filet mignon).
Huh really?!? I have disconnected the battery on my truck while its running, also on my wifes '02 Nissan[sm=bangbang.gif]. I have never heard of that before? What will it do and how will it do it?

Old 12-12-2007, 11:34 PM
7floorsofhell
Professional

your pump, sending unit, and fuel regulator are all in tank.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:54 PM
sddunn2
Professional

Never disconnect the battery from a running car - I run a repair shop, and I can tell you; disconnecting the battery while the vehicle is running can cause voltage spikes while the alternator goes into full field mode and could destroy the ECM and BCM computers.

this is what I just read . I did hear it was not good for it as well but could not remember why

Old 12-13-2007, 07:29 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told by an alternator shop, "... never disconnect the battery while the motor's running... cook the computer..." That was on my '95 Ram Wagon.

Quick Reply: When trying to start all I hear is "click"