3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why do the first oil changes always go horrible????

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:46 PM
sschevy400
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do the first oil changes always go horrible????

Well, i'm driving to Fla soon from PA, and i wanted to get the 1st oil change done and out of the way so i have good oil for the trip. I head out to pepboys and see that they have a sale Mobile 1 oil. Its 5qtsof mobile one oil and a mobile 1 filter for $29.99. So, not bad so i bought 10qts, and 2 filters while the sale was active and get to the register. She rings up the oil, 2 gallons ofrainx, and 2 filters. I sign and walk outside. Only to get home to see my bill came to 37 dollars. Wow, here she only ran 1 qt of oil, not 10. Thats a sale if you ask me....

So anyway, why the hell does dodge put the 08 oil filter in the worst possible spot? first it was stuck on, and i had to de-form it to get it off...then all the oil ran all over everthing....Next, i grabbed my filter and pre-filled it like i always do, and when i attempt to screw it on. It was the wrong filter. ugh...so i check the other filter i bought to see if the packaged them wrong, nope same filter. I call pepboys and they say that i have the correct filter.

So on the 08 models they changed the oil filters to a m22 thread...ugh. and it was not comming up on their computers. i call the dealer and they are closing in 3 min, so i cant go there. I had to settle for a Bosch filter from auto-zone.

Anyone ever use Bosh filters? are they a good filter?? i think i may wait and switch it out to a mobile 1 as soon as i can cross reference it to my part number.

Anyone ever use a K & N oil filter??? i can get one of them too...

UGH what a day....

Old 12-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: Why do the first oil changes always go horrible????

sorry to hear about your woes with the oil.

yes, BOSCH is a very good brand! they have been in the automotive industry for well over 50 yrs.

second, thats what you get for goin to pepboys...

glad that it worked out for you!

Old 12-15-2007, 04:56 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bosch is just fine. We do extended drains on our entire family's cars, including mine. I run synthetic 15,000 miles, mobil 1. Ive used bosch before a few times on 15k runs without issue, as well as all other filters. The only 1 that is poor quality is FRAM, they use paper endcaps on the filter catridge inside the can. All the other major oil filter brands are practically the same.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

take a look at that study, it has all brand oil filters gutted and compared. Ive also used the Mobil 1 long life oil filter a few times with there synthetic, and cant say that it is worth the $10 they charge for it. Ive been using whatever is cheapest (thats NOT a fram)

Bottom line, you would be wasting your money switching out that bosch filter, just let it be. It sounds like your the type of guy who is real good to his trucks if your worrying in the first place, so you should be fine.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Nothing wrong with the Bosch, leave it on there till the next change. K&N always gets high marks for their filters although I've never used one. Every test report I've ever seen has said that the Frams are crap.I always either get a wix or Mobil 1 for all my vehicles myself...

Old 12-16-2007, 10:41 AM
slapshot12
Professional

I use K&N filters on mine. I like them because they have a hex head bolt on the bottom to remove them easier. I agree with the first oil change being a pain. My filter was torqued on. With the location of it, it was a major pain to get any type of leverage on it. I actually bent my filter wrench trying to get it off. But with the K&N filter, I can use a socket with an extension to remove it now.

Anyone know why the Hemi's take 7 quarts of oil?? That's almost as bad as a diesel.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:17 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: slapshot12

Anyone know why the Hemi's take 7 quarts of oil?? That's almost as bad as a diesel.
just the way it goes, the 4.7 takes 6...diesel's are at 13 or 11...i think the new (03-up 5.9 CTD is 13, i think) but anyways, yah i've never used a bosch filter....i've always used a Wix in everything, never had a problem

Old 12-16-2007, 01:59 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

Nothing wrong with the Bosch, leave it on there till the next change. K&N always gets high marks for their filters although I've never used one. Every test report I've ever seen has said that the Frams are crap. I always either get a wix or Mobil 1 for all my vehicles myself...
Got a question. If you change the oil, and leave on the filter how much oil do you put into the crank case? How much oil does the oil filter hold then? Oil fitlers are guaranteed to filter oil for how many miles?

Old 12-16-2007, 02:08 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

i use wix.... bosch is a good company though....

Old 12-16-2007, 03:18 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: slapshot12

I use K&N filters on mine. I like them because they have a hex head bolt on the bottom to remove them easier. I agree with the first oil change being a pain. My filter was torqued on. With the location of it, it was a major pain to get any type of leverage on it. I actually bent my filter wrench trying to get it off. But with the K&N filter, I can use a socket with an extension to remove it now.

Do you change the oil filter at every oil change? Or every other oil change? Just curious at to how many miles a typical oil filter can go before you had to actually change it..I know K&N is no typical oil filter, but just wanted to know.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:18 PM
kenihemi
All Star

The filters are put on by a machine in the factor. Much tigher than needed, but that is the way it is.

Eat your wheaties and use an oil filter wrench, it's not that hard.

Then I make a kinda funnel so that the oil drips pour on it and go into the oil drainer and not all over the suspension.

Quick Reply: Why do the first oil changes always go horrible????