3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Ram 1500 3rd gen vs New gen F150

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 05:47 PM
hogdad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram 1500 3rd gen vs New gen F150

I'm going to contribute my opinion on both these trucks since I am very qualified to do so. Heres my story and heres why. In Feb 06 I leased an 06 F150 Crew 4x4, 5.4 XLT for 299 a month for 24 months with 1600 down including my first payment. Now with the lease ending and a buyout of 23100 plus taxes my payment wouldjump to 410 month for 60 months with only 12 months of warranty left after Feb 08. An extended warranty would further inflate that payment. So I picked up an 04 Ram 1500 4.7 SLT Q Cab4x4with 20000 miles.Power windows,locks, seat6 disc CD 392 locker rear and 46 months warranty remaining on the 7/70. Paid 19800.Payments with 4000 down are about 260 a month for 72 months. I have both trucks now until Feb 08.

Okay with the money/warranty issuesout of the way and having owned the F150 for nearly 2 years heres my take on both. Engines- The 5.4 3 valve is great off the line but sorta fells like its breathing through a straw after 3200 rpm's. The EDGE programmerI had on made the truck much better even in level 2. The (2004)Dodge 4.7 with 392's feels more lively and sounds nice, I think it would take the F150 5.4 with 355 rear which is what I have. The 4.7 will TOAST the Ford 4.6.

Suspension- The Ford rides gorgeous. Its a better truck to go on vacation with. The cab isbigger inside and the rear seatbelts ratchetlock after you pullthem full out. I feel better with my kids in the back of the Ford because of this feature rather than the Dodges lock on momentum system. The rear 12volt outlet is nice for my DVD players too.The rear shocks set on theoutside ofthe axle work wonders for ride and stabilityand all trucks can learn from Ford on this one. The Dodge rides better when I have 5 passengers in it but never equals the Ford. Unloaded it bounces and skitsaround sometimes on uneven ground. I have 40 psi in my 17 inch Goodyears, might be part of it but not really.

Brakes- Both are good, but the nod goes to the Dodge.

Cab and wind noise- Ford wins. Although my Dodge is not nearly as noisey as some owners have written the Ford is probably the quietest on the market. Like a big Crown Vic to me. if Dodge would make the cab 8 inchesbigger and shorten the bed by 8 inches and work on the ride a wee bit(I know its a truck) they would have a winner and might even unseat F150 as the best selling truck in the country.

Interior- The Ford cloth seats look cheap and wear pretty quickly. They also water stain. Yeah thats right water stain. The Dodge material (at least for 2004)is amuch more dense fabric and feels better. Both trucks have power seat and the Dodges seat is more comfortable to me. The center console on the Dodge is the best.2 hugelevels of storage,one hidden make it the winner here. The dashboards are a tie. I like both but the Dodge white face gauges are nicer and more illuminated at night plus the compass is overhead and easier to read than the in dash one near the odometer (WTF were they thinking there?)on the Ford. Other than cab size the nod here goes to Dodge. At least in mid level SLT vs XLT trim. Lariat vs Laramie I can't comment on.

Warranty problems- Ford, 2 complete A/C systems. Compresser, Drier, POA valve etc.
Power window swich broken, 4x4 transfer case actuator. Ice builds up in the wiper cowl by the wiper transmission and make the most annoying noise. Pots of hot water poured in there to melt the ice.

Summary- if money wasn't an object I'd take the F150. Mainly due to the bigger true crew cab not an extended cab with 4 doors which is what the Dodge actually is unless you go MegaCab.
The F150 feels a little better to me but to be fair the Dodge is pretty damn good. I have a manual transfer case and it is very impressive compared to older GM products I've had. Just lops right in and out with no noise and very little effort.Ford's(or anyones)electronic case couldn't be any easier to use. If rear seatpassengers are a secondary concern and a toolbox is more important get the Dodge. Even though the new F150 offers a 6.5 bed with a crew its just too long and lokks like freak- morp truck.For used value.....its hard to beatthe Dodge. A comparable used low mileageF150 would've run me 4000+ more off a lot. But Iam happy to have more warranty left on my used Dodge than I started with on my new Ford. Andbelieve me when drivelinestuff breaks it means alot.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:54 PM
SWOS Chief
Veteran
Default RE: Dodge Ram 1500 3rd gen vs New gen F150

Nice write up, thanks for the info.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:57 PM
hogdad

Off the truck subject for a minute. This forum doesn't really have as big a membership or following as the Ford ones does. I am glad to be a member and contribute but I feel like the Dodge Ramis the best kept secret and some folks still view them as third choice. By the way I hate the look of body on the new GMC and Chevy's. The old style (which I've owned) were way easier on the eyes.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:52 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like the old Dodge saying use to be "Dodge...Different"

Old 12-17-2007, 08:58 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm new to Dodge, I allways swore by F-150's, now I swear at them. I had some really great Ford 1/2 tons. But as I went from used to new, Problems arose.

My last new basket case was a 04 f-150 reg cab 4x4 long box with the dreadful 5.43v, That truck used more gas than my hemi in a 06 2500 reg cab 4x4 with a 6sp.

I have no need for quad or extended cabs, I'm comparing reg cab to reg cab, Dodge hands down is so much bigger in a reg cab, the goffy back doors on the Ford reg cab are just that goofy, thiers more room behind the seat of the dodge reg cab.

my 2nd last new ford was a 02 f-150 extend cab 4x4, coud not keep a front suspension, the 260 h/p version of the 5.4 was quick and I had no issues with it.

Ford has better paint than dodge and better fit and finish, I hated the interior of the 04 and the interior in my 06 is just that, a interior.

The 04+ f-150 is a heavy mothier and Ford gears thier trucks for lower torque, excuse being they tow better, but the 4sp auto in the f-150 is the rear performance killer, and why Ford F-150's suck flue.

I have heard of the issues with dodge and thier automatics, thats why I up sized to a 2500 to get the six spped standard.

If you had a dodge powertrain ( hemi engine ) in a Ford, hands down you would have the better truck.

My 06 is hands down more dependable than that pos of **** 04 f-150 that ate batteries and altenaters (2 batteries, 2 altenatores, axle seals )

Ford, on papper has a impressive truck, but a lot is lost or missing from papper to final assembly, for every great idea ford has ( not the rear shocks on the f-150 ) stupid quality items like cheap fabric and carpet are standard ( I had a xlt )

The Dodge quad cab was met to compette with the extended cab's, so Ford and Gm quad cabs are bigger, THe mega cab dosent realyy count as it is a 2500.

I agree Ford has a nicer car ride than a 1500 Ram, but due to the lbs of the ford, dodge ram feels more agile, even thow Ford has those dumb outboard shocks.

I paid a lot and expected a lot from my new fords, but Ford could deliver the goods, With Dodge, I tock a chance and did not expect a lot as I went for the cheapest new truck I could $$$$.

I'm really impressed with my Ram ( I wish the paint quality was better )

Never ever will I buy a Ford, any Ford again ...

Old 12-17-2007, 09:10 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it just me or does anyone else really like the new f-450. but $50,000 is way too much oh and something to laugh about. I was at the ford dealer and they had a new 08 f-250 with the cheapest procomp 6" lift with 20" wheels and 35" tires. The truck itself is $45,000 they were asking $65,000. Who in their right mine would buy that. You can get some crazy a** kore lift for $20,000.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:12 PM
bobbylight
Professional

nice write up! Very informing and very true. I had a new 2005 F150 for a month when i totaled my old f150. I then bought a 2005 ram and i feel the same way on all the issuses you covered.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:06 PM
dieseldoc1
Professional

i don't understand comparisons.or the statement i went to the chevy or ford dealer. never been on a ford or gm lot, never will be.can't understand the desire to ck elsewhere. to me,and it may be just me,ur a dodgeman or a flip flopper with no devotion to anything. i mean read the signature,chrysler corp. or take the bus!!!!

Old 12-17-2007, 10:21 PM
manualagain
Professional

I was driving an '05 F-150 STX RC/SB with the 4.6 and the automatic till early this year. My impression, I liked the truck, I liked the accessability to the storage afforded by the little doors, I really liked the interior, comfortable and well designed. Truck rode great and handled nicely and with the RC/SB configuration it manuevered in tight spaces real well. What I didn't like, even with the lightest configuration, it was still a pretty slow truck with the 4.6 made worse by the auto (when I bought mine the manuals were still several months away from being available). Also the seat cloth was light grey and remarkably unforgiving in the stain department, yes water spots showed on the fabric. Comparing my new QC to that '05 is definitely comparing apples to oranges, but the QC is alot quicker, I think better looking, and a bit more comfortable. I'll stay with my Dodge!

Old 12-18-2007, 09:38 AM
wmichell227
Veteran

ORIGINAL: hogdad

ratchetlock after you pullthem full out. I feel better with my kids in the back of the Ford because of this feature rather than the Dodges lock on momentum system.
I'm pretty sure they took care of this problem in the newer dodge trucks. They specifically note (in the manual) that you should pull the belt all the way out and let it ratchet in when belting a child.

One other thing that Dodge has taken care of in the newer models is the ammt of pressure that it takes to unbuckle a seatbelt. In the 00's -05's it took only a few ounces of pressure and the button sat above the end of the buckle. The belt could be unlatched by accident very easilly. Now they require more pressure and the red release part of the belt is slightly recessed making it safer.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 1500 3rd gen vs New gen F150