DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   What does P0404 mean (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/138429-what-does-p0404-mean.html)

Gary-L 10-06-2018 12:01 PM

Well, it has been just short of a year since I replaced the EGR in my truck (lifetime warranty BWD part), and, guess what? The damned thing is throwing a code again. Naturally, it does this when I have my Mazda's engine bay torn up so with some in-depth work taking place. I'll be damned if I'm going to effect another parking lot repair on a hot engine (again). I don't have a need for a truck anymore, so I need to get off my ass and start cleaning it up for either a straight sale or trade for something different.

Chet Ubetcha 10-06-2018 04:20 PM

I've still been throwing an intermittent code for it. I'll get to replacing it one of these days.

I was looking up the parts on Amazon, and I read several comments that said the computers have a difficult time recognizing non-MOPAR EGR valves which is the reason they fail so often. Some have said they ran into the same recurring issue we were having, but once spending the cash and putting the MOPAR part on there they have been trouble-free for years. I'll probably just suck it up and get the real deal this time -- if nothing else it will rule out (or in) that theory.

Gary-L 10-07-2018 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha (Post 3412941)
I've still been throwing an intermittent code for it. I'll get to replacing it one of these days.

I was looking up the parts on Amazon, and I read several comments that said the computers have a difficult time recognizing non-MOPAR EGR valves which is the reason they fail so often. Some have said they ran into the same recurring issue we were having, but once spending the cash and putting the MOPAR part on there they have been trouble-free for years. I'll probably just suck it up and get the real deal this time -- if nothing else it will rule out (or in) that theory.

IIRC, the original MOPAR EGR failed on my vehicle, and I'm on the second BWD. I debated on plunking down the cash for an OE MOPAR part; however, since I'm planning to sell the truck, I'd rather save the difference in cash.

Chet Ubetcha 10-08-2018 02:35 AM

Understandable.

Gary-L 10-20-2018 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha (Post 3413129)
Understandable.

RockAuto had (key word, HAD) four Mopar EGRs in stock, so I decided to bite the bullet and order one. $90 after shipping and the 5% discount. That's better than the $110+ I've seen everywhere else (shipping not included). I don't want to screw around with exchanging the Borg Warner part I already have.

Later2u 10-22-2018 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha (Post 3412941)

My '04 just thru that code. p0404. It went away after a couple of days. Buying a MOPAR EGR from RockAuto for $98 delivered and replacing it as preventative maintenance.
I can't stand looking at a check engine lights if I don't have too. :)

Gary-L 10-28-2018 08:00 AM

Installed the new MOPAR EGR I purchased from Rock Auto. It comes with a new stainless steel gasket and new 10mm bolts used to secure the valve to the block. Be sure to save the 8mm bolts and existing cardboard gasket that routes the gasses back to the throttle body. I had to clear the codes from the PCM after the job was finished. I also had to shake my head the PCM had a code for what it called an improper grade of oil detected, which is ludicrous since I only use 5W20.