3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Good electric fan??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:13 PM
7floorsofhell
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good electric fan??

After everything I have done to my truck, I have put off one of the easiest upgrades, the electric fan. Whats good, easy, direct bolt in. you know, the perfect part. Flex A Lite? help me out with a part number if you'd be so kind

Old 12-22-2007, 02:49 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Good electric fan??

180 Extreme, super easy install. You can opt for keeping your fan shroud or going shroudless. I would take a pic, but I left my shroud on for the reservoir mounts, so it's hard to see the fan.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:13 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how one man's easy install is another's from hell. I installed a Flexalite Black Magic Extreme 180 Thanksgiving weekend. Wrestled with the water pump pulley nut for half a day. Finally had to take it to a shop to get the damn nut off. Never could get the washer fluid reservoir off the shroud, so I just muscled the e-fan into place. Flexalite could invest in some better installation documentation instead of the 5.0L Mustang "one size fits all". __________________________________________ Now that my rant is done, I really like the way the fan works. I installed a 180 t-stat the same weekend and set the fan to kick on when the gauge reaches the old "normal" reading. The new normal is considerably lower now. ________________________________-_________ Two questions for the group: Has your fan failed to come on, or come on long after the gauge has gotten WAY TOO HIGH, and is it necessary to leave the stump of the water pump nut on? I cut the clutch off, leaving just the nut. I've read the nut is necessary and I've read it isn't. I was creeping along in downtown traffic recently, and didn't notice the temp gauge 'til it was just under the last black marking before HOT and the fan wasn't running. While I was looking for aplace to pull over to see what was up, the fan came on. The temp came down quickly, but that scared the hell outa me.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:43 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

180 Extreme, super easy install. You can opt for keeping your fan shroud or going shroudless. I would take a pic, but I left my shroud on for the reservoir mounts, so it's hard to see the fan.

this is the one i would go with.. really popular...

Old 12-23-2007, 10:14 AM
06Heminightrunner

I want to put this ran on my truck too. but with this kit does it include everything or is there other things you need to buy at all? like little things or just buy it and put it in?

Old 12-23-2007, 12:11 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Mine came with everything -- hardware, controller, the whole shootin' match. You'll just need basic tools. A spanner to get the water pump pulley nutoff is a must. Turns a frustrating job into a breeze.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:25 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: MikeHTally

Mine came with everything -- hardware, controller, the whole shootin' match. You'll just need basic tools. A spanner to get the water pump pulley nutoff is a must. Turns a frustrating job into a breeze.
The only thing that doesn't come with it (and you don't need it for the install) is the optional manual override switch to mount on the dash. It would be nice to have if you are in heavy mud or forging water as you could turn your fan off to not suck crap into your radiator fins...

and Mikey, The only time I ever had any problem with the fan not coming on when it was supposed to is after I was playing around with my fog light/running light fuses and accidentally knocked the hot wire to the fan loose without noticing. So that failure was my fault...

Old 12-23-2007, 04:37 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

and Mikey, The only time I ever had any problem with the fan not coming on when it was supposed to is after I was playing around with my fog light/running light fuses and accidentally knocked the hot wire to the fan loose without noticing. So that failure was my fault...
Yep, that would do it alrighty. Mine's only failed to activate once. I normally don't have to deal with extended stop-and-go traffic, so it was a shock to see the gauge WAY UP and the LED fan indicator not lit.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:27 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yea, I put in a hard wire between the fog lights and running lights so my fogs would stay on with the high beems. Works fine that way, btw, but I pulled it back off when I went in to fix my e-fan wire I bumped. I was just curious if it would work...

Old 12-23-2007, 05:30 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did leave the stump inbetween the clutch fan and the motor?

Quick Reply: Good electric fan??