3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gibson Super Truck Exhaust Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 06:36 PM
wosneski
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gibson Super Truck Exhaust Install

Hello,

Just wanted to post a bump for Gibson on their Super Truck muffler. App: 2004 4.7L Ram 1500 RC LB (PN 6512). Cost me $386.90, tax and shipping included, from a local speed shop. There may be other places (i.e., summitracing.com) to get it a few bucks cheaper, but I had some other stuff to get at the local speed shop, so whatever.

Sorry, no pics or vids, but let's just say you'll be happy with it. Not too loud (actually a bit more subdued than I was expecting) -- but let's just say people will know you're coming -- and the install was TOO easy. [Part of that is the design of theDodge's exhaust, witha neat C-clamp right before the muffler, which greatly simplifies things.]

I've installed a handful of aftermarket cat-backs on various cars from various manufacturers (Dynomax, Borla, and cheap-*** Summit come to mind) and the Gibson quality was top notch. Some basic tools and implements and you're good to go.

So kudos to Gibson on the quality product,at not-*too*-unreasonable price. Aluminum and steel does cost more these days.

Adam

Old 12-23-2007, 07:10 PM
MoparRob
Veteran
Default RE: Gibson Super Truck Exhaust Install

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]JK Glad to hear you like it

Old 12-23-2007, 07:20 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been wanting to order this same exhaust for a while. if there was anyway you oculd get a clip up that would be awesome

Old 12-23-2007, 08:12 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

Can't wait to see it!!

Old 12-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Mattcmdr
Professional

i have the same exhust for my 4.7......its bad ***......nothing like the crappy flowmaster thats jsut plane loud no the supertruck is a race tone its sweet.......ill get sum clips up tomorow.....also i get my superchips programmer tomorow soo ill let yall know about that as well

Old 12-23-2007, 11:29 PM
spud11
Veteran

Not trying to hijack the thread, but since we're talking exhaust and I haven't really found anybody who wants to answer on the other threads, is there anyone who has put a dumped glasspack on the 4.7, and was there any low end torque lost? The glasspack is 28" long with 2.5" OD inlet and outlet, I'm looking to just drop the stock muffler and attach it to the extension pipe.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:19 AM
esskmo
Professional

gibson dual extreme and it sounds great when I make it work, and nice and quiet when I don't. Not bad on the freeway competing with my tires, but nothing my stereo can't drown out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/76350/907FB01F32F04B2F816A9C791B922791.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-24-2007, 12:21 AM
MoparRob
Veteran

That looks good man, I like that better than the square tips...

Old 12-30-2007, 10:36 PM
wosneski

ORIGINAL: MoparRob

That looks good man, I like that better than the square tips...
Guess I just like ugly things. FWIW the Flowmaster DOSS series w/ baloney cuts doesn't have an app for me, so the GST was my only choice for a bolt-on pre-axle-exitmuffler.

http://www.youtube.com/v/sAMU3dzlOoM&rel=1
The quality isn't Spielberg-esque, but take into account it was a pocket digital camera held in place by handor a zip tie on the headrest. And the original, uncompressed file was 970 MB (not the 10 MByoutube limit). Say thanks to north Miami-Dade county for the visuals and the complete absence of traffic violation enforcement.

Hopefully it should give the prospective buyer an idea what the Gibson S/T will sound like. The vid is split into all typical situations: (a) 1-2 and 2-3 WOT, (b) accelerating (4th-5th) up to 70 cruise, (c) pounding the Palmetto at 90 in 5th, and (d) 1-2-3-4 from a stop, trying not to break eggshells under the gas.

It's loud, butthat's what I wanted, and it's actually quiet at idle. And yes a smidge of low-end torque was lost, at least from the butt dyno (always happens with a freer flowing exhaust, and Gibson doesn't recommend this for towing anyway). For tq or mpg, go with the Gibson Swept Side or stick with the stock, as even the GST is still 2.5" (just like OE).

And just in case anyone was wondering, the truck is an otherwisebone-stock 70k VIN N 4.7 with the NV3500/3.55FD combo. Two weeks ago it had an OE-style tune-up. Sounds like it has a blower or straight-cut gears from the vid.

Adam

Old 01-02-2008, 11:49 AM
wosneski

BUMP c'mon now I didn't put all that effort into creatin' that clip for nothin'!

Adam

Quick Reply: Gibson Super Truck Exhaust Install